Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sequence Of Events For Changing To Sp2 And Firewall Issues?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 aelfgifa

aelfgifa

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 10:50 PM

Hello,

Well, after getting the data off my other computer, I have been more careful with this one. I have been scrupulously updating Windows (XP Pro), AVG free, Ewido, SpyBot, and AdAware and run them almost every day. I also used the Look2me removal tool and McAfee Stinger I got from this site which got rid of the popups and viruses that made this computer almost unusable. So . . . I think and hope I can safely install Service Pack 2. Can I ask for some advice before I get started instead of after I mess up?

1. Is there a way to be absolutely positive I have no spyware/malware that would cause SP2 to give me problems? Aside from a one time warning from my Norton firewall about the Senna Spy Trojan, I think this laptop is clean. When I got the warning from Norton about Senna, I ran AVG and Ewido and neither one of them found anything so I hope it was a false positive. I have Norton's 2004 Internet Security with the firewall enabled and the antivirus disabled (although eventually, I want to get rid of Norton completely and use ZoneAlarm instead because the AV seems to keep turning itself back on - which I've been told interferes with AVG). It's a nuisance to have to keep telling it to go away.

2. I did try Microsoft's site first, but ended up more confused. I want to download SP2 but I use Firefox instead of IE. I believe it was offered to me once under Automatic Updates but I still had viruses then so I said "no thanks". Will it eventually be offered to me again?. I tried to download it earlier tonight but ended up going in circles and getting nowhere. Also, since Windows seems to be more compatible with Norton than with ZA - should I keep Norton until after I've installed SP2, then get rid of it to install ZoneAlarm? I'm not sure what to do first. If I re-enable Automatic Updates, will SP2 eventually install itself, and then just let me hope for the best and that it plays nicely with my other programs?

3. There seems to be a lot on this site about how to completely get rid of every trace of Norton, so I guess I'm not the only one having trouble getting it off my computer. What is the most current way to do it and what order should I do things in? The AV part of it doesn't seem to want to stay disabled. Sorry if these are stupid questions but I don't want to destroy two computers in two months, so am being extra cautious.

OK. Well, I thought I'd give you guys a rest because I got so much advice on my other computer's problems. Sorry this is so long - I just wanted not to leave anything out that might matter. If I destroy this laptop, then I really am up a creek. It's unbelievable how many viruses it had when I started, so thanks for the advice on cleaning them. I just really want to do this right.

Thanks,

aelfgifa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 01:34 AM

1. Is there a way to be absolutely positive I have no spyware/malware that would cause SP2 to give me problems?

Post a HijackThis log for examination.
A member of the HijackThis Team will walk you through, step by step, how to disinfect your computer.
Once you post your log, don't make any changes to your system, as that could change the results of the posted log, making it difficult to properly clean your system.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!

Then, run a log, and post it in the HijackThis forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, as these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

2. I did try Microsoft's site first, but ended up more confused. I want to download SP2 but I use Firefox instead of IE.

You can only download Microsoft Updates using Internet Explorer.
Firefox will not work, as the installation of an ActiveX control is required for downloads.
You can order the SP2 CD from here:
Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

3. There seems to be a lot on this site about how to completely get rid of every trace of Norton, so I guess I'm not the only one having trouble getting it off my computer. What is the most current way to do it and what order should I do things in?

Read this entire topic:
How To Remove Your Norton Products, Removal instructions for most Symantec Norton products
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 aelfgifa

aelfgifa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 101 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 26 June 2006 - 05:46 PM

Thanks. I'll move this over to the HJT forum. I was finally able to run the a2 online cirus checkder and it told me that it had removedWinantiviruspro 2006. So maybe that was the only problem but I'll post a HJT log in the correct forum later today before I meddle with SP2.

aelfgifa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users