Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD/DVE Drive will not autorun, nor see any file in autorun discs - tried things.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 mrmatt2

mrmatt2

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 PM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:20 PM

I am wanting to upgrade from XP to WIn7

I have one dvd/cd drive which will not autorun.

I have configured BIOS to boot from the cd/dvd having WIN7 in it, but wil not boot from the disc

If I put any program disc it will not autorun. If I open it, it shows no files at all - nothing. If I go to properities it shows 0 bytes on disc, and 0 available. THis does not happen on another computer I have.

My system

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

2.80 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X3 720

Board: ECS A790GXM-AD3 1.0
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 080015 05/19/2009

DVD/CD DRIVE  NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A [Optical drive]

What I have done so far...

I have updated/flashed the driver.

I have gone into properties of the cd/dvd drive and restored defaults

In the run command box, I typed REGEDIT

from there I went to the following path(s):

HK LOCAL MACHINE

SYSTEM FOLDER

CURRENT CONTROL SET

SERVICES

CD ROM

AUTORUN……………..  I made sure the value was 1, which it was.

I then went down the following path:

HKLOCAL MACHINE

SOFTWARE

MICROSFT

WINDOWS

CURRENT VERSION

POLICIES

EXPLORER

NODRIVETYPE AUTORUN……………Made sure the values were 145 (decimel) and 91- and they were.

This is all I know how to do  - thinking now I will have to do a system recovery or buy a new CD/DRIVE –

Hope you can help..

thanks!!!!!!

Matt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,622 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:50 PM

Go here and start at Resolution 2 and run the fixit for XP.

If that does not work run AutoPlay Repair.

If that does not work then use resolution 3 on the page I linked to.

You CD drive may be bad if the above does not work.

#3 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:17 PM

Thanks for the quick reply John,

Your first link found a problem, but could not fix it

The  2nd link found and fixed one problem, I restarted the computer, but the autorun again will not run a store-bought ( video editing software program) disc, and still getting 0 bytes available, and 0 bytes free. This happens only with store-bought software  - discs I burn at home ( pics, home movie) will play- manually, and can open the disc to see the files.

Maybe I wil have to get another cd/dvd drive. - just thought it was a software issue... but maybe not

Thanks for your help!

Matt

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,622 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:34 PM

When you boot with the Windows 7 install disk, the install does not start?  It's interesting that your own disks can be seen. Are the disks that you have burned CD's or DVD's. An optical CD/DVD drive has two lasers. One for CD's and the other for DVD's. Perhaps one has failed.

#5 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:47 PM

THe install does not start on my Win7

The cd's and dvd's that were successful were ones which contained pictures. I could "open" the disc and see the files. When I do that with win7, no files are present, just and emptly pane. (I have to confirm a home burned dvd movie can be watched.. thought it could but am not sure

The video-editing software disc I put in does the same thing as tghe Win7 disc, I put it in, dvd'cd drive light goes on, I hear a click type sound ( like ti is about to spin), then the light goes out and then silence. Properties of the disc show used and free space on the disc to be zero.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,622 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:00 PM

Maybe you can try changing the SATA cable of the optical drive to a new port or use a new SATA cable if you have one.  If that doesn't work, it would think it's a bad optical drive.

#7 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:19 AM

ok, I will give that a shot.

Looks like nowadays, a  well rated, cd/dvd burner/reader are pretty cheap - ~ $14.00

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Optical-Drive-SH-224DB-BEBE/dp/B00CE58ZYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419130466&sr=8-1&keywords=SH-224DB%2FBEBE#productDetails

As I am looking to go to Win7, would you think it would be worth it to  do a XP system recovery or XP re-install for the possiblity of straightening out some sort of hard to trace software glitch? - assuming I tried everything to straigthen any software issue...

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,622 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:32 AM

You can do a fresh install using the Windows 7 upgrade disk using this guide. XP does not even have to be on the computer.

Did you run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor first to see if the computer can run Windows 7?

#9 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

Thanks for that info,

I thought I ran the win7 upgrade advisor, but reran it anyway... ( I thinnk I ran something similar)

However, It said this-

"You'll need to perorm a custom install of 32-bit window 7 and then reinstall your programs....."

However, I did check that my processor can handle Win7 64 bit, so not sure why it also does not state this. Not sure what this the program is looking at to see I must use a 32 version...

From newegg about my processor... AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz Socket AM3 Black Processor ... designed to enable simultaneous 32- and 64-bit computing with no degradation in performance

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,622 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:33 AM

I think that message was given because you have XP on the computer. I am not sure about the 32bit answer unless it sees the 32bit XP.

Yes, that processor is 64bit.

http://products.amd.com/en-gb/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=522

#11 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:25 PM

"unless it sees the 32bit XP."

Yes, that is what I was thinking.

I read the link you gave me re  "using the Windows 7 upgrade disk using this guide."

But it seems as if I need to access the win7 disc from my cd/dvd drive which is my issue, even after telling my computer to boot first from the cd/dvd drive containing the disc.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,622 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:31 PM

Is your Windows install an iso file to burn to disk or a physical disk?

Do you have access to a computer with a CD/DVD drive?

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 December 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#13 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 06:20 PM

It is a physical disc, and I do have access to another cd/dvd drive ...........on another computer..

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,622 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:03 PM

I was hoping you could create an iso file from the install disk using Imgburn and then use a utility to create a USB bootable flash drive that would install Windows but the only option now is to get a new drive and see if that works.

#15 mrmatt2

mrmatt2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:02 PM

Yes, will get  anew drive,

Thank you for all of your help and time, John,

- greatly appreciate it.

Matt