Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU usage when playing any video from any site

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rrtyui

rrtyui

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:34 PM

Greetings,

I am using an ASUS G73JW.

Whether it's watching a livestream on twitch.tv / hitbox.tv, YouTube videos, or various other things on different sites, task manager shows the CPU usage spiking to 90-100% regardless of the video quality or video player (ie: AUEngine, MP4Vids, MP4Upload) from a consistent 0-5% even during games or other programs open. I've tried various anti-virus programs/scans and any tips for resolving high CPU usage but with no avail. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

~rrtyui

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bandicoot_

bandicoot_

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 PM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:40 PM

Have you used Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit or TDSSKiller? Maybe use CCleaner.

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

Hi rrtyui, welcome to BleepingComputer :)

When you watch a video and the CPU usage is high, can you go in your Task Manager, click on the Processes tab then on the CPU column? This will order all the active processes by CPU usage, from the highest to the lowest. If you can, take a screenshot of it and post it here. If you don't know how to take a screenshot, when you have Task Manager open, press on the Alt + Prnt Scrn keys. From there, open Paint and press Ctrl + V to paste the screenshot. Save it and attach it to your next post.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:43 PM

Please use the Snipping Tool to copy the image of the Processes.  You can find this tool in Accessories under All Programs.   After you have the image you will want to go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name and click on save .

Using the Snipping Tool to copy an image. 

To open the Snipping tool click on the Start orb, then type snipping tool in the search box.  Snipping Tool will appear above the search box, right click on it and choose Run as administrator.  

Before you open the Snipping Tool have the image you want to copy one the destop, then open the Snipping Tool.

A small white cross (+) will appear on the screen, move this to the lower left corner of the image you want to copy, press and hold the mouse and slowly move it to the right and upwards.  You will see a red rectangle form around the image, when you have the image isolated that you want, release the mouse.  

After you have the image you will go to File and click on Save As, Pictures will open with this image, when it opens give it a name then click on Save.    

You can post this image in your next post.  Just below the area where you write text in a post there is the Post button, to the right of this is More Reply Options

Post2_zpsf05c0430.png

When you click on More Relpy Options  you will see Attach Files and Browse, click on Browse, this will open Pictures on your computer, click on the image you made with the Snipping Tool, then click on Attach This File, then Add Reply.

BCreply1_zpsc36d42fc.png

Edited by dc3, 21 December 2014 - 03:43 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rrtyui

rrtyui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:18 PM

http://i.imgur.com/rXHa16z.png  - Imgur link to the task manager screenshot that was requested, I've also attached the screenshot as a file.

I took the screenshot as it happened during a video I was watching,  pausing the video dropped the CPU usage to 3%. Thanks in advance for the help.

Attached Files

• Attached File  o3o.png   117.59KB   0 downloads

Edited by rrtyui, 21 December 2014 - 10:21 PM.

#6 rrtyui

rrtyui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:24 PM

Have you used Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit or TDSSKiller? Maybe use CCleaner.

I haven't tried any of those, I've done scans with AVG and malwarebytes, and ran combofix. Do you recommend that I should try those?

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:29 PM

It looks like Google Chrome is using more than 62% of your CPU, which is a lot. I would like if you could follow the instructions in the link below to open your Google Chrome in-built task manager:

http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-use-chromes-built-in-task-manager

From there, click on the CPU column to order the processes by CPU usage (highest to lowest), and take a screenshot of the window and post it here.

Also please, do not run ComboFix by yourself unless instructed by a malware removal professional. ComboFix isn't a tool that should be used lightly as it have powerful features that can render a system unbootable if wrongly used.

Edited by Aura., 21 December 2014 - 10:29 PM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 rrtyui

rrtyui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 05:13 PM

I think this is what you requested, file attached below.

Attached Files

• Attached File  why.png   55.09KB   0 downloads

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:49 AM

Like I thought, the video is taking up all the resources usage, and in that situation, I think (unless specificed otherwise), Youtube still uses Flash Player by default. Can you update Google Chrome to it's latest version and see if the same issue continues?

unite_blue.png

#10 rrtyui

rrtyui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

The issue continued after updating Google Chrome. 

Would you like for me to uninstall & reinstall?

Edited by rrtyui, 26 December 2014 - 03:30 PM.

#11 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:32 PM

Can you try to disable Hardware Acceleration in Google Chrome like shown here? Then restart your web browser and see if the CPU usage is still high when playing videos.

unite_blue.png

#12 rrtyui

rrtyui
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:58 PM

Mm, I followed the instructions only to find out that my browsers Hardware Acceleration had already been disabled.

#13 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,205 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 12:40 PM

One thing you could do is to uninstall Google Chrome (32-bits) and intall the 64-bits version of it. It'll perform better on your system since you run Windows 64-bits and it'll take less resources as well.

unite_blue.png

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users