Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Touchpad cursoron 1 account

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mhoss49

mhoss49

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

We have two accounts. Mine works fine with touchpad, but on the other account the cursor may not be present and if it is it is always frozen. It is a couple week old laptop and both accounts worked fine until today. I can connect a mouse and works fine on both account. I have looked at mouse settings on the non-working touchpad account and can't see any setting that would affect this problem. The non-working account is my granddaughters and having to use a mouse for homework is not always handy (ie. laptop). If this can't be fixed I guess I can have her set-up a new account and try that.    Thanks in advance. mhoss49

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:25 PM

Hi mhoss49 :)

May I ask you what is your laptop brand and model? It can easily be found under the laptop, on a sticker, or by going in dxdiag. To do this, press on the Win Key + R keys and enter dxdiag then press on Enter. If you get a message with Yes or No, click on Yes and wait for the dxdiag window to load. You should have two lines called "System Manufacturer" and "System Model". If you could please give me these informations, it would help. Also, I need to know if you're using Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, 32 or 64-bits. You can find this by dragging the mouse in the bottom left corner of your screen, right-clicking on either the Windows logo (if you have Windows 8.1), or the small preview icon that will open (if you are on Windows 8), and from there, click on System. In the window that will open, you'll see which version of Windows you are using. I'll need both of these information as well.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 mhoss49

mhoss49
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 AM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:57 PM

I figured out a solution. One of the things I had tried on the account with cursor freezing was to try an F5 refresh....did not work. I got thinking and tried an FN+F5 and it solved the problem. Thanks for reply. I always like to respond if a fix is found, just incase someone else would have same issue. Thanks bleeping and feel free to end topic. Thanks again to all mhoss49

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 AM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:53 PM

Glad to see that you solved the issue :) What happened here, if you want explanations is that you triggered what we call a "hotkey" on your laptop keyboard. Hotkeys are often associated with different functions, like playing music, stopping music, etc. In the case of laptops, they are associated with the function keys (F Keys) for basic features, like the screen brightness, display switch, turning on and off the WiFi adapter, etc. In your case, I guess the Fn + F5 hotkey triggered the trackpad (to disable it or enable it). With that in mind, I guess you'll know what to do next time when you facing that issue :) Oh, and my solution was pretty much to make you install, or at least, reinstall your trackpad drivers, which would have enabled them after that. Still glad that you got it worked out so fast ! ;)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users