Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender Stopped

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 abdallahshaikha

abdallahshaikha

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:15 PM

Hello, I have an ASUS touchscreen laptoplabtop and yesterday, randomly my labtop stopped working when I restarted it I tried to run Windows defender but it was stopped and when I tried to start it again, I wowoulget the error 577 which is in the picture. And then I saw tha. Norton was installed by itself so I went to control panel and I uninstalled Norton but defender still would not start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

I couldn't upload the picture, but the error said" Windows cannot verify the digital signature for this file. A recent hardware or software change mmight have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source." Also the startup type is set on manual and I can't change it.

Edited by abdallahshaikha, 20 December 2014 - 12:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:43 PM

Welcome,

Norton provides a removal tool to clear your system of their software so that a different security solution can be installed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/norton-removal-tool/

is the link. Run it, reboot and then try to your choice.

Keep us posted

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 abdallahshaikha

abdallahshaikha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:44 PM

Thank you, I just refreshed the settings on my labtop and it is working fine now

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:21 PM

Glad to hear that all is well

We'll be here when you need us. Til then

Stay well and surf safe

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:21 PM

...I just refreshed the settings on my labtop and it is working fine now

That wasn't really necessary. Since Windows 8 Defender includes anti-virus protection, it may be disabled by the installation of a third-party anti-virus program. If a trial anti-virus came preinstalled on your computer or you installed one, it most likely turned Windows 8 Defender off (disabled) to avoid conflicts. Windows 8 Defender will remain disabled until the third party anti-virus has been completely uninstalled and then Windows 8 Defender needs to be activated if you choose to use it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users