Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Trial Has Ended?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 suretismetisme

suretismetisme

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:17 AM

I just received notice that my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Trial Has Ended.  How do I getl it back without paying for it?

Edited by Queen-Evie, 20 December 2014 - 09:02 AM.
moved from Windows 7 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 AM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:03 AM

You can't. When you first downloaded and installed the software there was a window that had two checkboxes, one which asked if you would like to install the trial version. The trial version (full paid version) included the on-access virus scanner that would check anything as you downloaded it like a normal anti-virus program. The free version is on-demand only where you would do a scan manually and it would check for malware. If I can remember, when the trial version ends, it becomes a free version. If you cannot do manual scans anymore then uninstall it and reinstall making sure you do not have the box checked to install the trial version.

#3 gigahurtz

gigahurtz

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:00 AM

I just received notice that my Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Trial Has Ended.  How do I getl it back without paying for it?

Open Malwarebytes, click on End Free Trial and you'll revert to the Free Version. It sounds like you chose enable the trial version when you installed (which of course is pre-selected).

You can't. When you first downloaded and installed the software there was a window that had two checkboxes, one which asked if you would like to install the trial version. The trial version (full paid version) included the on-access virus scanner that would check anything as you downloaded it like a normal anti-virus program. The free version is on-demand only where you would do a scan manually and it would check for malware. If I can remember, when the trial version ends, it becomes a free version. If you cannot do manual scans anymore then uninstall it and reinstall making sure you do not have the box checked to install the trial version.

This is completely wrong. You can revert to free without having to uninstall.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:25 AM

A 14-day trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium is available as a pre-selected default option when first installing the free version (regardless of where you download) so all users can test the real-time protection component/features for a period of two weeks. When the limited time period expires those features will be deactivated and locked AND Malwarebytes will notify you with a "Trial Expired" message. Enabling the Protection Module feature again requires registration and purchase of a license key. If you continue to use the free version, there is no requirement to buy a license...you can just use it as a stand-alone scanner. Users who have previously completed the trial will not be prompted to start the trial upon upgrade or reinstallation.

I keep getting notified that my trial has expired, how do I revert to the free version?

Once a free trial has expired, you may wish to eliminate the notifications about the trial being expired, or you might even want to purchase the software or activate it if you already own a valid license. To do any of those things you first need to select one of the options on the pop up; "End Trial" or "Buy Premium".

trialoodimage.png

If you select, "End Trial" this will end the trial features, and set the program into the Free version.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,607 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:34 AM

Open Malwarebytes, click on End Free Trial and you'll revert to the Free Version. It sounds like you chose enable the trial version when you installed (which of course is pre-selected).

This is completely wrong. You can revert to free without having to uninstall.

Thanks for that gigahurtz.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,564 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:51 AM

Actually JohnC_21 your reply was not entirely incorrect. When a trial expires it will continue to be expired by design even after updating to a new version but this does not always occur as intended. The same can happen (not always occur as intended) at times when attempting to enable the free version. When you're having issues with Malwarebytes, one of the solutions generally suggested by the Help Desk to try first is to uninstall/reinstall (aka Clean Removal Process).
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users