Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A little concerned about fan RPM speed

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Blue_Wolf

Blue_Wolf

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:57 AM

I'm not too hardware savvy but 3000 RPM on some of my fans seems a little high for idle...

Below is an idle image of HWMonitor (PC has been on for about 10 mins). I have highlighted the parts that worry me.

Please can someone kindly help me identify which hardware components 'FANIN1' & 2 actually are and let me know if the RPM seems normal or not? (and if not what I could do about it)

Thank you in advance :)

(PS if there is anything else that doesn't look too healthy I'd love to know about that too. Planning to do a lot of gaming over the holidays so it would be dreadful to have something fail now!)

rpm.png

Edited by Blue_Wolf, 20 December 2014 - 07:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:46 AM

Be aware that sometimes these tools give false readings on fan speeds, temps and voltages. Compare voltages speeds with the bios to confirm the tools outputs are correct. The Fan0 1210rpm is the cpu. Fan2/3 is front/rear case fans. GPU fan is down further reading 1096rpm. Typically nowdays the cpu and gpu fans are PWM (Pulse-Width Modulated) and have 4 wires +/-, sense, control. I am speculating that your case fans has no variable control. It depends if they are plugged into the motherboard and if they are 3-4 pin with no software/hardware controller, or run off molex power. Sometimes the fan will be 4 wire, but the header on the motherboard will be 3 pin or viceversa. You would have to open it up and see what's going on. I imagine the solution would be to get a 5 1/4" front panel fan controller with digital display, or buy low 800-1200rpm fans. By the looks of it you have 3000rpm non-controlled case fans.

#3 Blue_Wolf

Blue_Wolf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 PM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:32 PM

Ok thanks for the advice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users