Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Latitude D620, acting really weird even after mobo replacement

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 G33kyg1rl

G33kyg1rl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:41 AM

I was given a box full of broken laptops to play with. Included was a Dell Latitude D620. 1.6Ghz Intel core Duo, 2gb DDR2. Hard drive was bad (which I replaced), and I'm not quite sure why (this was 6 months ago) but I opted to replace mobo as well. Ordered a new one, sealed in the box. After install, keyboard doesn't work, (don't remember if it did before or not) and when using USB keyboard, the directional arrows are extremely touchy! Also, as soon as it's plugged in, it powers on, without pressing the power button. I ordered yet another new, sealed in box motherboard, and the same issues came about. Not the motherboard, I'm guessing. Ran thorough tests on RAM with Memtest, everything checked out okay. Tested CPU with QuickTech 5.9. What's going on here? How can I remedy this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

Have you tried disconnecting the built in keyboard? It might have a stuck key and or some other failure which is causing issues with the usb keyboard you have plugged in. Simply unplugging the laptop keyboard might solve the issue. If the power button is built into the keyboard, (I seem to recall it is in this model), you might need to replace the keyboard.

EDIT: confirmed the power button is built into the keyboard, replace the keyboard and likely your problems will go away. They can generally be found quite cheap (new) on ebay. Use the dell part number from the bottom of the current keyboard.

Edited by zingo156, 22 December 2014 - 01:56 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 G33kyg1rl

G33kyg1rl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:30 PM

The power button is, that's the only reason I didn't. I was thinking about replacing it when I had the extra money. Didn't want to put all my eggs into a basket that might have a hole in it, if you know what I mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users