Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A certain website won't load - I think I know the problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 CloseToHome

CloseToHome

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:08 AM

Hello!

To get to the chase:

A certain website that me and my dad go on won't load on any browser with our internet connection. The problem only happens when connected to our internet connection and it works elsewhere (ex. using iPhone 3G data, university library). Since there are abundant amount of reasons why a webpage won't load, I think I narrowed it down to a specific problem after reading a few pages of websites on Google.

So what seems to be causing the problem is:

...occurs when viewing the same site over a router from more that one computer or application at the same time for a period of time. This activates something in the server software that puts your IP address on a so called "BAND LIST". Your web hosting company will not be able to correct it because they don't know what is going on because they can see that it is working fine from their point of view.

The explanation is useful, but the solution was to get a new router. Of course, there must be an easier way to fix it without buying a new router...which is why I need you guys to help if you can.

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,640 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:59 AM

First and probably most obvious is to reboot the modem and router. Also your computer.

Next  would be to try a different DNS server like open dns. If you have DNS servers listed, then make a note of them if you have to revert.

If that does not work uninstall the network adapter in Device Manager. Then select Action, scan for hardware changes and let the adapter reinstall.

Last would be to try a later adapter driver. There was a thread here where a person could not access one site, https, and it was solved by reinstalling a later driver. What is the make and model of the computer if OEM? Right click the adapter you are using (NIC or wireless) in device manager. Select Properties and under the details tab, select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post if the above suggestions do not work.

#3 CloseToHome

CloseToHome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:08 PM

First and probably most obvious is to reboot the modem and router. Also your computer.

Next  would be to try a different DNS server like open dns. If you have DNS servers listed, then make a note of them if you have to revert.

If that does not work uninstall the network adapter in Device Manager. Then select Action, scan for hardware changes and let the adapter reinstall.

Last would be to try a later adapter driver. There was a thread here where a person could not access one site, https, and it was solved by reinstalling a later driver. What is the make and model of the computer if OEM? Right click the adapter you are using (NIC or wireless) in device manager. Select Properties and under the details tab, select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post if the above suggestions do not work.

Thank you for the reply. I still do not have any luck. Restarted router and unplugged modem for 30 seconds did not help.

The website is inaccesible for my laptop or my dad's iPad, so the problem must persist in my router/modem. The only step I have not done is uninstalling the driver software. However, since I cannot view the website with any device from my home, I'm sure uninstalling/reinstalling drivers for my desktop computer is not necessary?

I also made sure it is not just the site as I can go on using my iPhone's 3G data and have made frequent checks on the website using online website-status checkers.

I am just home for the holidays from university, so the problem is minimal. I would still like to get it fixed if I can though. Luckily, there is an app for my Dad's iPad so he can access the content.

I appreciate the help John!

Edited by CloseToHome, 20 December 2014 - 06:09 PM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,640 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:13 PM

If you cannot view the site from any device then no, it's not driver related. Did you try using OpenDNS?  Does the iphone use the same ISP as your other devices connected to the router that do not connect to the site?

Do all devices that cannot connect to the site use the same browser?

Edit: I guess I meant to ask is if your iphone uses your wireless router, does it connect to the website?

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 December 2014 - 06:44 PM.

#5 CloseToHome

CloseToHome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:15 PM

If you cannot view the site from any device then no, it's not driver related. Did you try using OpenDNS?  Does the iphone use the same ISP as your other devices connected to the router that do not connect to the site?

Do all devices that cannot connect to the site use the same browser?

Edit: I guess I meant to ask is if your iphone uses your wireless router, does it connect to the website?

For the OpenDNS, what values should I put in? I think it's more likely a DNS issue.

My iPhone does not use my internet connection. The ISP is totally differen tthan the one at home. It is with the cellular company "Rogers".

The website is not accessible with any browser using my home internet connection. Tried with all browsers on different devices.

What a weird problem this is :/

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,640 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:31 PM

In my post#2 I provided a link on using OpenDNS but it's for Windows 7. Do any of your devices use Windows?

The DNS server addresses are

What is the make and model of the router? you can also put the DNS addresses in the router but make a note of the existing ones.

#7 CloseToHome

CloseToHome
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 01:12 AM

My router is

Netgear WNDR3700

Yes, all my devices use Windows, except for the iPad.

Will editing the DNS mess up my connection if something goes wrong? Would it be easy to revert back?

Thanks

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,640 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 08:01 AM

Do it according to the link I posted. Try it on one computer. If it works you can change it on the router or change it on every computer. No, you can easily revert back to the DNS servers you have. Just write down what they are before you change it. On the computers it is probably set to obtain a DNS automatically.

After you change the DNS on the computer, make sure you flush the DNS as shown in the instructions. I can give you the instruction to change the router settings if you want. But, make sure it works by changing the DNS servers on one computer only.

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 December 2014 - 08:04 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users