Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Booting problem GRUB plus more

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 phil09

phil09

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:44 AM

Now I am not certain which forum to put this in. Well I put it on here to start with. I am trying to resurrect an old laptop. Dual boot it has Ubuntu and Windows XP. Has GRUB. It first has a habit of shutting down after a little while for reason (4 minutes or so). If I take the hard-drive out it holds the error no reboot, so presume not a motherboard problem. Well the next problem is the Windows XP error with problem with Autochk not found..so that is corrupted.  But well I guess why I am on Linux forum I can't boot to CD/DVD from GRUB, Linux people seem to use GRUB more. Don't say change BIOS setting to boot to CD/DVD it is already set it goes to GRUB, I think Windows is set to 2nd Partition. What do people recommend...remove grub? So I can get access to a DVD. Or is there a way to set up GRUB to Boot to CD/DVD I think not sure it is not GRUB 2(how can I check?). 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:59 AM

Hi Phil09 :welcome: to BC.

Let's see if we can help you. Let's deal with this first.

It first has a habit of shutting down after a little while for reason (4 minutes or so). If I take the hard-drive out it holds the error no reboot, so presume not a motherboard problem.

Do you have access to a second PC?

Can you please download Puppy Linux Tahr Pup.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr-6.0-CE_PAE.iso

Now burn that to CD/DVD as a bootable ISO

How to burn or write a CD/DVD image or ISO - Bleeping ...

Remove the hard drive from the PC, Removing the Hard Drive for now eliminates it and grub from the equation. I just want to see if everything works.

When that is done place the CD/DVD in the CD/DVD drive and reboot, Now here you may have to set the PC to boot from CD in BIOS.

Because Puppy Linux runs entirely from ram it should boot, Once booted look around Puppy go on line just mess with it for a while,  say 20 minutes, And then report back here with the following please.

PC Type.

Processor name and type.

How much ram do you have?

Any Video cards?

What Ubuntu do you have? Eg 12.04?

Some problems are more complicated than others and require additional work to isolate the issue. So, try not to overwhelm the user with possible conflicting information during the troubleshooting process. Wait for the OP to report back that step 1 is done and the result before suggesting anything new,  Stay on topic.

Unless you know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it.

Thanks

Nick.

Be Verbose
When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:

•     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).
  •     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.
  •     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.

[Community Standards] Properly Giving & Receiving GNU/Linux Support

Edited by NickAu, 20 December 2014 - 04:25 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:30 AM

phil09,  :welcome: to BC Forums!

Though you should carefully follow the steps that my colleague Nick provided above, are both of the OS's shutting down in this manner? Or does XP simply not run? 

The reason I'm asking is because if XP isn't running, you'll have to repair it before the rest. Normally XP is on the 1st partition, being the oldest, and the newer Linux OS on the 2nd. Ideally, there should also be an XP Recovery Console for that OS. Thing is, this would be XP issues & that issue would get more exposure in the XP section.

Well the next problem is the Windows XP error with problem with Autochk not found..so that is corrupted. 

Plus, this is the Linux section of the forum, if we assisted one member with XP, the door becomes wide open for everyone with XP dual boot systems to post their XP issues here & we don't work that way. Please note that I'm not running you off this forum as far as your Linux issue goes, it's just that we don't provide assistance with XP repairs here. 

As far as your boot order goes, it doesn't matter if the optical drive is first, I have Linux Mint on installed on 4 computers where it (optical drive) is 1st in the boot order & USB drive 2nd. 

We'll gladly assist you with your Ubuntu issue in this section, once you get your XP issue fixed in the other, that is, if you want to continue to run the OS. Do you really need XP? It's as secure as a maximum security prison with the keys hanging within reach of the inmates. Seriously, and it's going to get a lot worse. Once the monthly MRT tool update goes away after July, game over. However that's a decision (& risk) that you must decide on. 

Once you decide on what to do with XP & make repairs if wanted, then we can gladly assist with the Linux issue. 

Hope to see you back & soon.  :)

Best of Luck,

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:20 AM

Plus, this is the Linux section of the forum, if we assisted one member with XP, the door becomes wide open for everyone with XP dual boot systems to post their XP issues here & we don't work that way. Please note that I'm not running you off this forum as far as your Linux issue goes, it's just that we don't provide assistance with XP repairs here.

Let me clarify that statement.

We will help anyone who posts here at Bleeping Computer requesting assistance with a problem. If the topic is in the wrong forum a moderator or admin will move it to the proper forum. However if there are multiple OS's involved we prefer to fix one OS at a time. Once the problem of one OS is resolved we will either move the topic to the next one. Or one of the staff may PM and ask you to post a new topic in the appropriate OS forum. Including a link back to the original topic to maintain continuity. Hopefully my explanation dispels any notion that we refuse anyone help just because they are not in the 'right' forum.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users