Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Project 64 Emulator Question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rolling2live

rolling2live

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:58 PM

Ok, i know i have a crappy vid card, but everything meets the minimum requirements to run the program. when i try to play a game such as Star Fox or Goldeneye, it runs really choppy almost frame by frame and the audio is really choppy as well. What i don't understand is that i can run Counter strike and Half life games fine though. just not anything on project 64 (it runs best out of all the ones i have tried though)

any help?

specs:

Win XP Home
celeron 2.4ghz
1.2 gig ram
ProSavage S3 graphics

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 05:18 AM

The following graphics chipsets (thus all graphics cards based on them) can be considered below minimum specification:

* 3dfx Voodoo 1,2,3 (1,2 - not at all, 3 - poor image quality)
* ATI Rage128, Rage Pro (poor image quality)
* Intel i740, i810 (poor image quality)
* Matrox G200, G400, G450 (poor image quality)
* nVidia Riva128 (poor image quality)
* S3 Savage 4, Savage 2000 (particularly bad, these cards hang)

"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 rolling2live

rolling2live
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:18 PM

So im guessing there is nothing i can do about it? and i cant replace that becuase its integrated :thumbsup:

thanks

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:38 AM

You can always add a new video card and disable the onboard one via the bios settings.

#5 rolling2live

rolling2live
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:31 PM

could anyone reccomend a good video card? im planning on acutally just buying a new computer in the next 2 months, so what would you reccomend? i dont neep a top of the line card, just something that will run smoothe for N64 emulator and CS.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 01:50 PM

Are you going to build the computer yourself or buy one direct from a manufacturer? if you are buying direct then I would not worry until you hear what options they have for you. It tends to be cheaper buying a decent video card at the time of purchase.

#7 rolling2live

rolling2live
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:34 PM

i generally go to a small store in this area. im good friends with the owner, and i just tell him what i want and he builds it for me. i know a fiar amount about most stuff, but video cards not so much. if i do buy from say Dell or any large corporation, what would you reccomend? i only use it for basic stuff. internet, watching movies, and a few games (n64 emulator and CS)

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:41 AM

I guess the real question is how much you are willing to spend? Most of the newer video cards are coming PCI-X. So if you are going to get a new computer, get one with a PCI-X slot for thevideo card.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:17 PM

PCI express is what almost all video cards are going to, make sure the motherboard you'll be using has a PCI Express 16X slot. This will allow you to use the latest graphics cards for a while. As Grinler said, how much are you willing to spend? You can purchase from a megacorp company such as Dell or HP but you will be limited when it comes to future upgrades and they typically don't have as many customization options. A boutique builder, such as Velocity Micro, Maingear, and Falcon Northwest, cater mainly to power users or gamers with alot of options and the equipment is often higher quality. But the tradeoff is price, the boutique builders cost more.

3939.png

#10 rolling2live

rolling2live
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:32 AM

Thanks for the info guys. im only looking to spend 800-1,000 max, i know thats not much in teh computer world, but im only 19 and don't exactly have the kind of money right now to buy a top of the line machine :thumbsup:

#11 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:26 PM

Many of those boutique builders do offer special budget PC's. I'm never going back to Dell or HP again...

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users