Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP dc7800 won't recognize Radeon HD 5550 Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BazookaSamurai

BazookaSamurai

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:48 PM

Hello and thank you for checking out my post!

I was recently given an old HP dc7800 Desktop and a VisionTek Radeon HD5550. The person who gave these to me said that he used the combonation of PC and GPU before and it wasn't currently installed because he had upgraded his GPU a while ago before moving on to a new PC.

I installed the Radeon HD 5550 into the only PCI-E Slot on the MoBo, booted up the PC and used Display Driver Uninstaller to remove the old drivers and rebooted. I tried to install brand new AMD Drivers (14.12) but the installation failed saying that it couldn't detect any hardware. 

I double checked to make sure that the GPU is seated properly, checked the Device Manager, but nothing is there. I've tried using DVI, VGA and HDMI but my monitors didn't receive any signals. 

How can I make this desktop recognize and use the graphics card?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: To not Two

Edited by BazookaSamurai, 20 December 2014 - 05:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:58 PM

Have you reset the CMOS?

Shut down -> remove the power cord -> either put a jumper on the shorting pins or remove the CMOS battery for about 15 seconds.

Put everything back in order and power up

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

Try the drivers at https://www.visiontek.com/download-drivers.html .

Louis

#4 BazookaSamurai

BazookaSamurai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:24 PM

Have you reset the CMOS?

Thank you both for responding. I followed both of your advice.

Dick, I reset the CMOS by removing the battery for 15 seconds and re-installed it.

Louis, I downloaded the drivers, but it still wasn't able to find the GPU. 

The Installation error reads thus:

Existing packages Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Packages for install
AMD Catalyst Install Manager Final Status: Fail Version of Item: 8.0.915.0 Size: 20 Mbytes HydraVision Final Status: Success Version of Item: 4.2.252.0 Size: 6 Mbytes
Other detected devices
Error messages Application Install: install package failure!

Edited by hamluis, 25 December 2014 - 11:57 AM.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:49 PM

Is there a BIOS setting to disable the onboard graphics and use a PCIe graphics card? There may be a specific setting in BIOS to use the PCIe slot for a graphics card.

#6 BazookaSamurai

BazookaSamurai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:00 AM

Is there a BIOS setting to disable the onboard graphics and use a PCIe graphics card? There may be a specific setting in BIOS to use the PCIe slot for a graphics card.

Not that I can find.

#7 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,189 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:24 AM

Can you screen shot the BIOS setup screen?

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,281 posts
  •  

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:30 PM

According to this HP thread the dc7800 is supposed to automatically detect the graphics card but it was advised that the drivers for the integrated graphics be removed first. See this HP thread also. OP did not uninstall all integrated drivers. Also reset BIOS back to defaults and was finally able to get the card to work.

#9 BazookaSamurai

BazookaSamurai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

According to this HP thread the dc7800 is supposed to automatically detect the graphics card but it was advised that the drivers for the integrated graphics be removed first. See this HP thread also. OP did not uninstall all integrated drivers. Also reset BIOS back to defaults and was finally able to get the card to work.

Thanks for linking this. I may just try to reformat the HDD, re-install the OS (Win 7) and see if anything changes. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users