Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NOT happy at all

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 JohnWJ

JohnWJ

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:32 PM

for the love of god this is the third time  in a week I havr had to contact Dell tech Support. 3 hours wasted on Saturday and then 9 hours reinstallint the OS on Tuesday and now the computer is stuck in a can not install updates. And guess what an other 9 hours reinstalling the OS tomorrow I AM NOT HAPPY at all and this computer is only three months old. :killcomp: :flamethrower: :ranting: :ranting: :ranting: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

John

An Australian Living in the USA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:38 PM

Was this due to a hardware failure? 

Or

Microsoft?

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:50 AM

Sorry to hear that, computer problems suck. The worst part is, once solved it still doesn't feel like a victory, because you lost all that time solving it. :(

Depending on what the issue is, after installing the OS again perhaps make a backup so you can restart from that point if the issue returns a 4th time.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,213 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:11 AM

An image of the system in an operational state is so beneficial. First thing I do with every system I've owned, for many years now.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:29 AM

Was this due to a hardware failure? 

Or

Microsoft?

Microsoft the so called tech had me do a hardware check

John

#6 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:30 AM

An image of the system in an operational state is so beneficial. First thing I do with every system I've owned, for many years now.

dumb how do I do an image of the system ??????????

John

#7 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:34 AM

JohnWJ

This thread at this forum may help with your question about Imaging:

Backup Software, would like opinion(s)     Refer to post # 4 where quiteman7 included links for additional information about Imaging backup tools.  I'm using a couple of the ones mentioned in his post.

In addition to Imaging, Cloning can also provide a full-HDD backup tool.  I use both methods and as Platypus posted earlier here, full-HDD backup plans will provide a recovery path for nearly all malicious presences as well as other numerous situations, bad download's, user errors, HDD failure. 

One of the best benefits of having full-HDD backups available in my opinion, is the "peace of mind" aspect, knowing that you have a complete fast recovery method to roll back your PC, like a "time machine" to a point in time prior to an occurrence of malicious intrusions or a user error.

Here's a thread (at this forum) that may help with describing the types of Imaging. 

clarification about dell backup/recovery software and an alternative

I've been Cloning periodically for about 3 years with my 2 Win 7 PC's and a family member's XP PC and it's provided a fast recovery method on a couple of occasions during that time.  I Image occasionally for redundancy in the event that one of my Cloning processes fail or if I encounter a stubborn malicious presence that may require a more involved HDD cleaning method.

My Mom's original XP PC HDD (lasted about 9 years) failed a few weeks ago.  I installed a cloned HDD in her PC and was running normally in about 10 minutes.  It's hard to beat that kind of recovery speed, my opinion.

Image recovery provides the same end results, just takes a little longer (for my PC's) to run the Image-recovery process.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,851 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 PM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

The only luck I've had with Dell was to tell them what part I neded and that I would install it myself.  The "scrip readers" at a majority of the major "help" desk groups are not even in this country.  During three calls, two keyboards and a display element, I talked with "techs" in the Phillippines and Canada.  The english was barely passable but part numbers sealed the deal.  Major troubles installing clean OS's point to a fault in the path from peripheral(CD/DVD) through the MOBO and unto the hard drive.  Best of luck.

#9 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 03:03 PM

JohnWJ

This thread at this forum may help with your question about Imaging:

Backup Software, would like opinion(s)     Refer to post # 4 where quiteman7 included links for additional information about Imaging backup tools.  I'm using a couple of the ones mentioned in his post.

In addition to Imaging, Cloning can also provide a full-HDD backup tool.  I use both methods and as Platypus posted earlier here, full-HDD backup plans will provide a recovery path for nearly all malicious presences as well as other numerous situations, bad download's, user errors, HDD failure. 

One of the best benefits of having full-HDD backups available in my opinion, is the "peace of mind" aspect, knowing that you have a complete fast recovery method to roll back your PC, like a "time machine" to a point in time prior to an occurrence of malicious intrusions or a user error.

Here's a thread (at this forum) that may help with describing the types of Imaging. 

clarification about dell backup/recovery software and an alternative

I've been Cloning periodically for about 3 years with my 2 Win 7 PC's and a family member's XP PC and it's provided a fast recovery method on a couple of occasions during that time.  I Image occasionally for redundancy in the event that one of my Cloning processes fail or if I encounter a stubborn malicious presence that may require a more involved HDD cleaning method.

My Mom's original XP PC HDD (lasted about 9 years) failed a few weeks ago.  I installed a cloned HDD in her PC and was running normally in about 10 minutes.  It's hard to beat that kind of recovery speed, my opinion.

Image recovery provides the same end results, just takes a little longer (for my PC's) to run the Image-recovery process.

Thank you I will look at the link

The only luck I've had with Dell was to tell them what part I neded and that I would install it myself.  The "scrip readers" at a majority of the major "help" desk groups are not even in this country.  During three calls, two keyboards and a display element, I talked with "techs" in the Phillippines and Canada.  The english was barely passable but part numbers sealed the deal.  Major troubles installing clean OS's point to a fault in the path from peripheral(CD/DVD) through the MOBO and unto the hard drive.  Best of luck.

Yes Mate you are right I can hear them using the keyboard in the background

John

#10 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:18 PM

The computer is only three months old and you've been going through hoops to get it to run right; it should be covered under warranty and I'd like to think you could have the computer fixed or replaced either by Dell or from where you purchased it from.

A few years ago one of my friends bought a brand new computer at a local major computer store. He had it about a month and was very unhappy about it and called me to see if I could fix it. I looked at it but refused to fix it as I didn't want to affect whatever warranty he had (he didn't know what kind of warranty he did have). He took the computer back to the store, then the finger pointing started: the store said it was the manufacturers responsibility to fix it. He took the computer back home and called the manufacturer and got nowhere with them  as they told him it was the sellers responsibility to deal with it. He called me later that week and told me about his frustrations. So I told him to take it back to the store and demand your money back; why pay for a brand new computer that doesn't run right and you have to use up your time to frustratingly attempt fix it yourself; The result was the computer was replaced with another computer (same make/model/OS) on the spot, tested to run properly on the spot and he's been more than happy about it. Does it make sense for you to do the same? If not please let us know what the original problem is so we can help you fix it for the right reason if necessary. And as mentioned, once its running the way its supposed to, absolutely image or clone

#11 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

The computer is only three months old and you've been going through hoops to get it to run right; it should be covered under warranty and I'd like to think you could have the computer fixed or replaced either by Dell or from where you purchased it from.

A few years ago one of my friends bought a brand new computer at a local major computer store. He had it about a month and was very unhappy about it and called me to see if I could fix it. I looked at it but refused to fix it as I didn't want to affect whatever warranty he had (he didn't know what kind of warranty he did have). He took the computer back to the store, then the finger pointing started: the store said it was the manufacturers responsibility to fix it. He took the computer back home and called the manufacturer and got nowhere with them  as they told him it was the sellers responsibility to deal with it. He called me later that week and told me about his frustrations. So I told him to take it back to the store and demand your money back; why pay for a brand new computer that doesn't run right and you have to use up your time to frustratingly attempt fix it yourself; The result was the computer was replaced with another computer (same make/model/OS) on the spot, tested to run properly on the spot and he's been more than happy about it. Does it make sense for you to do the same? If not please let us know what the original problem is so we can help you fix it for the right reason if necessary. And as mentioned, once its running the way its supposed to, absolutely image or clone

they are senind out a new harddrive and wifi card and a repair person is coming out to install them

John

#12 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 04:31 PM

how do I do an image of the system ??????????

If you have a Windows 8/8.1 installation disc you can use DISM from the command prompt on the disc to make a backup of the OS. To restore you would use the command prompt on the installlation disc to run diskpart to format the OS partition, and then DISM to apply the backup there. This basic method only works if the rest of your OS related partitions, and partition table remain, otherwise you will need to take additional steps. You will need a partition other than the OS partition so that you have somewhere to save your backup to, and restore from.

Related Links:

- http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj980032%28v=winembedded.81%29.aspx

- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825251.aspx

To Create The Image:

Dism /Capture-Image /Compress:none /CaptureDir:c:\ /ImageFile:d:\backup.wim /Name:"backup"

You would need to substitute in the correct letter drives, and desired name for your backup image. In my example "d:\backup.wim" is the location I'm saving the image, and "c:\" is the OS partition (which is what I'm backing up). In this example I've used "Compress:none", but if you don't mind it taking longer you can save space using "Compress:max".

To Restore The Image:

diskpart
select disk 0

You will need to substitue "0" for the disk number that your OS is installed on. You can use "list disk" to see a list of disks.

select partition 2

You will need to substitue "2" for the partition number your OS is on. You can use "list partition" to see a list of partitions on the currently selected disk.

format quick fs=ntfs
exit
Dism /Apply-Image /ImageFile:d:\backup.wim /Index:1 /ApplyDir:c:\

You would need to substitute in the correct letter drives, and correct filename of your backup image. In my example "d:\backup.wim" is the location of the image, and "c:\" is where I'm restoring it.

Edited by hollowface, 21 December 2014 - 04:32 PM.

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,689 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

JohnWJ thanks for your feedback

#14 JohnWJ

JohnWJ
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:26 PM

JohnWJ thanks for your feedback

Not a problem and a VERY BIG thanks to everyone who has posted a reply to my posting

John

#15 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,061 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 27 December 2014 - 11:13 PM

For me imaging has been the first thing i do since i learnt about it (from this site no less) in june/july of this year. By the way, how does cloning differ from imaging, don't both give you a copy of ALL data on the C:\ drive where both your programs and OS (and your personal files for some people who don't have their hard drive partitioned into C:\ for programs and D:\ for personal files) are stored which fully wipes over any recent changes when an image is used to recover a computer to a working state.

Edited by rp88, 27 December 2014 - 11:15 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users