Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Installed Mint, can't boot to it

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:21 PM

I have just installed Mint 17.1 alongside Windows 8.1 on a UEFI machine (thanks, Microsoft, for providing a lousy a operating system AND making sure I can't revert to my beloved XP)  sort of according to this guide http://www.everydayl...-alongside.html

The part about creating 4 partitions got a little too complicated so I just checked the "Install alongside Windows 8" option and put it in unallocated space that I had previously reserved with gparted.

There should be an option to boot from Linux but there isn't.  No matter what boot option I select in UEFI (BIOS) it boots directly to Windows.  How do I get an option menu and set Linux as the preferred OS?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:49 AM

I did a little web search and found:

http://www.howtogeek.com/175641/how-to-boot-and-install-linux-on-a-uefi-pc-with-secure-boot/

Does that help at all?

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:51 AM

Some problems are more complicated than others and require additional work to isolate the issue. So, try not to overwhelm the user with possible conflicting information during the troubleshooting process. Wait for the OP to report back that step 1 By bmike1
is done and the result before suggesting anything new, Stay on topic.

Unless you know exactly what the problem is and how to fix it.

Thank's
Nick.

Be Verbose
When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:

•     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).
  •     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.
  •     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.

[Community Standards] Properly Giving & Receiving GNU/Linux Support

Edited by NickAu, 20 December 2014 - 04:25 AM.

#4 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:40 PM

This is the hardware.

Secure boot is disabled.  Quick boot is disabled.  My only other UEFI/BIOS options are:

Legacy only:  Will only boot from CD/DVD.

UEFI only: Boots to Windows.

Auto: Boots to Windows

I don't need help installing the OS.  I need help either getting it to work or uninstalling it so I can start over.

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:55 PM

I think your grub is broken or missing.

GRUB2 - Gentoo Wiki

Try this.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/245

Edited by NickAu, 20 December 2014 - 06:26 PM.

#6 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:53 PM

No luck.  I followed the instructions in the first comment.

another method that works 99% of the time:

1. insert live dvd or usb
2. boot from that disk
3. once in live environment, open a terminal and enter:
Code:

sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub

4. reboot as normal (remove live dvd/usb)
you will now see boot screen with available OS!

#7 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 06:56 PM

That won't work from a live disk, as the partition is not mounted. Follow the full instructions.

#8 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:21 PM

Another reason people don't use Linux.  You have to be an expert in Linux before you can use it.

The tutorial says to

Now we need to mount the Linux Mint partition so that we are able to use it (access it) . To do this copy and paste this code into the terminal sudo mount /dev/sdXY /mnt

You will need to change the XY part of the code to match the name of your Linux Mint partition. For example my mint partition is dev/sda6 so i would change the code to - sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt

Since I am not a Linux expert how do I know what the name of my Linux Mint partition is?  All I know is that the install disk created 3 or 4 new partitions.  None of them look anything like dev/sda6.  All I can see is one called /media/mint.

#9 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:27 PM

media/mint is your live CD

You cannot see even your Windows partitions with gparted?

there should be at least 4 partitions, some of them will be the EXT4 type, the largest of those will be your Mint installation.

#10 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:33 PM

Apparently I failed to tell the OS where to install GRUB.

I'm going to delete all of the Linux partitions and reinstall it - tomorrow.

#11 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:54 PM

Yes, I thought so... but you should be able to install GRUB without re-installing the whole OS. (with the tutorial linked)

Perhaps re-installing may be easier for you to do initially, not having a grip on how Linux works. I know it can be daunting at first but Linux is very logical and easy to use once you get over the initial learning hump.

But....that said.

There is a high probability that your Mint partition is sda1, and as you are planning to re-install it cannot hurt to try this...

Boot into the live disk and enter in a terminal

sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

then

sudo grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/ /dev/sda1

enter and reboot from HDD

You should get a boot screen to choose your OS then. If you can only see your Mint install just load it, then from a terminal

sudo update-grub

which will add Win 8 (and any other installed OS's) to the boot menu

Let us know how you go.

#12 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:13 PM

Thanks,

Three hours Friday trying to install an OS,

Four hours Saturday trying to get it to boot.

I'm not looking forward to Sunday.

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:35 PM

Just think of all the 100's of hours you will save screwing around with anti-virus, malware, bugs and updates on your Windows system. Eyes on the prize :thumbup2:

It always helps to have a helping hand with sort of thing when you are starting out, I needed help the first time also... even though I was proficient with Windows.

It's not that you need to be an expert to use Linux, but it does require some understanding. Everything one knows about Windows is completely irrelevant, they are not the same creature. So as a noob you can expect to know nothing about the system until you learn about it. Fortunately once it is set up Linux is very low maintenance. Then you can learn from your working system if you want to get more out of it, or just use it as is... a great and simple OS for your daily computing.

We're here to help. :)

#14 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:09 PM

I haven't put hundreds of hours into XP.  I installed a firewall and Avast antivirus and it pretty much takes care of itself.

My problem is with the new hardware that forces me to run Win 8.1 without the ability to install XP, although I'm running it in a virtual box.

I hope to run a few DOS/Windows programs (I refuse to call them apps) in Linux with Wine.

#15 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,751 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:24 PM

Windows programs (I refuse to call them apps) in Linux with Wine.

It depends on the software, Running Windows software in Wine is hit and miss.

I hope to run a few DOS

DOSBox - Community Help Wiki

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users