Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB storage not working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kjthoward

kjthoward

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:49 PM

I have a 1TB samsung M3 external hard drive that I use for backups of my laptop (which usually stays on my desk). However for the last 2 weeks I have been traveling, still using my laptop, but my hard drive has been not been connected for over 2 weeks. I come back, plug it in and it doesn't work. It lights up and spins, makes the "USB connected noise", then turns off (no disconnect noise) and it does not show up anywhere (including disk manager, although it does show up in device manager under "Other Devices"). However when I disconnect it it does make the "USB device disconnected" noise. I tried the drive on other computers and it works fine, I have also tried other USB storage devices on my laptop and they do not work (however peripherals such as mouse, keyboard etc... still work fine). I have been trying for a couple of days now to fix it (so I've done pretty much everything on the first 2 pages of google results...) but nothing has worked.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it (short of doing a complete re-install, which is what I fear I may have to end up doing). I will be eternally grateful if someone gets this fixed!

CPU: Intel core i7-4800MQ

Motherboard: Mobile Intel HM87 Express chipset mainboard

USB ports: 1x USB2.0, 2x USB3.0

Let me know if any other information is needed.

Edited by kjthoward, 19 December 2014 - 10:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:11 PM

One thing that has worked for me in the past is to shut down, unplug the USB HDD, reboot computer without it, shut down reconnect it and reboot again. That has worked for me in the past I hope it will for you. If not you can try unplugging your laptop, removing the battery, hold the power key for about 30 seconds, reconnect and reboot.

#3 kjthoward

kjthoward
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:04 PM

Thanks for the suggestion, but I have already tried that. I'm pretty sure it's an issue with the USBSTOR drivers, as USBSTOR is currently "stopped" and nothing I can do seems to get it to start, including restoring all drivers from the disk that came with my laptop.

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:07 PM

Have you tried updating the chipset drivers? I have found in the past that they can be the hardest ones to find and load. If they're outof date they will cause problems with External devices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users