Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phoenix Award Bios "Setup Warning" error when changing bios settings

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rromig92

rromig92

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:49 PM

The machine came to me as a repair with a clicking hard drive and a strange error code i have never seen. 'Trap 00000006 exception' (not sure on the exact number of 0's)

its an hp board in a custom case. Athlon 64 with ddr400 ram pci-e graphics port but no card is present. it has on-board graphics. the numbers on the board read "a8n-la"

Mobo Spec page - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00647121&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en

My first assumption was just replace the hdd, reload the os and send it on its way but when i tried to boot from a installation cd/dvd the message saying "Press any key to boot from cd/dvd..." shows up and when i press a key it just freezes. I've tried every bootable disc i have and none will finish booting. it will load the cd but freeze while starting to boot. after about 5 seconds the disk drive stops spinning and the machine acts idle. ctrl-alt-del will reboot it when its frozen.

I've tried everything my little brain can think of. reseated the ram,cpu, all the pci cards, power connectors, fans, ide ribbons, i've taken the cmos battery out and reset it with the jumpers, i've tried 4 different ram sticks ( 2x256mb ddr400, 1gb ddr333, 512 ddr400). one at a time in every slot, and every possible ram combo with the 4 sticks i have.
i've tried booting from cd with only the dvd drive plugged in (no hdd, no pci card, no usb even tried it without a keyboard and mouse.)
i've tried switching the ide ribbons to different ports, and tried different ribbons.

the only time i get the trap 000000006 error is when i have either the original clicking IDE hard drive plugged in or a known working sata hdd

so i thought maybe i could try and boot from usb, what the heck maybe it will work. using an 8gig kingston flash drive i used wintoflash  and made a bootable win7 drive. i get the message "please insert bootable media" error when booting from usb.

when i went into bios to check things out, i decided to try and enable usb legacy support.  when i change the setting the bios stops responding to the keyboard and displays the message "system warning" where the data is usually shown.

it will do this when trying to change just about any bios setting i've come to realize.

I'm really at a loss with this one. i'm starting to think something is wrong with the cpu or mobo. i don't have a compatible amd board/processor to test either of those :/ Any help/new ideas would be greatly appriciated!
Attached File  img1.jpg   69.82KB   0 downloadsAttached File  img2.jpg   53.27KB   0 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:12 PM

FWIW

Myself, I would be inclined to just replace the CMOS battery since much of the older documentation on errors was often incorrect, IMO.  Replacing the battery won't hurt anything.

Louis

#3 rromig92

rromig92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:30 PM

I've replaced the CMOS battery,reset it again and it has changed nothing.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:52 PM

See comments by Richard Rudek at http://www.techiehq.net/computing/trap-00000006-exception-29590.html .

An Athlon 64 system running DDR...has unlimitied possibilities for hardware problems, IMO.  It may be time to move on to any number of better alternatives.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users