Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FireFox will not Update in Fatdog64-631

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,879 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:26 PM

Hey guys, I have been reading Brian2009's post about this issue.  I cannot Update FF.  I also tried to remove the old FF in file manager but could not.  I tried to Remove it in the PManager but it would not Refresh the list of installed packages.

I tried this also: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532925/reminder-to-update-puppy-linux/

I have been struggling with this for hours and hours over days now, please help.  I installed Google Chrome in PM to see if I could Update that, but could not, so am in the same boat.  I am going to try again to Remove FF in hopes of installing a new FF that I downloaded.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:41 PM

This is how I did it.

First download Firefox 34.0.5.tar.bz2

Go to your downloads folder and extract the tarball you just downloaded.

Now go to User/lib64/firefox and delete it or the files in it.

Now replace the deleted files with the unpacked files.

See Video.

http://youtu.be/RMDGZwiLq_A

Easy HUH?

Edited by NickAu, 19 December 2014 - 11:49 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,879 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:22 AM

I am having the same issue as before, cannot delet old files.  I went to my applications > lib > and can not do anything from there, here it is:

I cannot post from a photo sharing site either because of the browser issue, FF AND Seamonkey.  I am looking for an attachment choice here but don't see it.  I am emailing myself a screenshot, hope it helps, and works.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,879 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:30 AM

Here is where I am Nick, still can't delete any old FF files, can't even get to them unless in Xarchive Manager, then still can't delete: 

2qvb287.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:35 AM

pcpunk, there is a huge difference in updating/upgrading software in Puppy than Linux Mint, a wide gap, so much that I cannot do it. 

No, I take the last of the above back. There's an outside shot of me doing it, but not the desire. While FatDog64 is great out of the box as a bootable secure OS & the team less than a 30 minute drive away from me, they also release a new version on fast enough a schedule to where, for me, this is too much trouble for what it's worth. 

Going from Mint to Puppy is similar from jumping from a simmering pot of water into a hot cast iron skillet of oil, hot enough to fry fish in & then some. Which is why all I use FatDog64 for is diagnosing computers and/or making a fast, secure transaction. It's way to much for me to learn, for what it is. Yes, it's powerful & fast, but graphical enhancements are missing & I simply prefer full releases for every day use. 

I'm not in any way, shape or form trying to discourage you from wanting to learn to use Puppy. However, if you think that learning Mint was a ride, you're getting ready to be pushed beyond every limit you've ever seen, just to get through the door, let alone begin to get anywhere. 

These bootable ISO's are kind of fun to play with "as is", other than that, you're best off staying with Mint. It'll do all you need, and you can even boot from it the same way, if desired. 

I like FatDog64, but only as is, it's plenty secure enough even if the browser is a version behind. 

Good Luck, regardless of the path you choose.  :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,263 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 12:37 AM

Ok let me go and download fatdog64 631 and see where PcPunk is going wrong. I have 700.

PS

I love Puppy

PPS

PcPunk I suggest you try Tahr Pup

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/puppy-tahr/iso/tahrpup%20-6.0-CE/tahr-6.0-CE_PAE.iso

Tahrpup uses Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr packages and includes the bugfixes and improvements from the woof CE build system. It is compatible with Ubuntu 14.04 packages. The Linux kernel version is 3.14.20.

Explore the Tharpup folder at ibiblio or nluug for downloads (Try the PAE build first).

Edited by NickAu, 20 December 2014 - 12:45 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,263 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:11 AM

I went to my applications > lib >

You are where?

I just did it on the same Puppy as you have.  You need to be in /User/lib64/firefox

Watch the clip carefully.

http://youtu.be/cHDNfkUxYfY

Arch Linux .

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:28 AM

I cannot Update FF.

631 comes with 29.0 Nightly, but the newest version in the default repos is 25.0.1 Nightly. Repo wise there is nothing to update to. You can downgrade though :P.

I am going to try again to Remove FF in hopes of installing a new FF that I downloaded.

You cannot uninstall Firefox 29 using the package manager, because it's part of the default image. You can replace it with another version of Firefox, but if you remove that new version it will just revert to 29 again.

still can't delete any old FF files, can't even get to them unless in Xarchive Manager, then still can't delete

Based on the screenshot it looks like you're trying to delete the files from the archive, rather than the ones in /usr/lib64/firefox-29.0 ??? To get to the correct location click on "home" (on your desktop), then click the up arrow on the menu bar to get to your root directory, then navigate to /usr/lib64/firefox-29.0 (or /usr/lib64/firefox, which is just a link to /usr/lib64/firefox-29.0).

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,263 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:36 AM

You can replace it with another version of Firefox,

Yup, It's what I do in the clip. It's quick and easy, And I do not like Nightly.

but if you remove that new version it will just revert to 29 again.

Yes, If he is just doing it to a Live disk, The new version will be gone when he reboots..

Unless Puppy is installed to HDD or USB, Or he creates a save file.

Edited by NickAu, 20 December 2014 - 02:38 AM.

Arch Linux .

#10 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:43 AM

@NickAU I was only talking about replacing with the package manager, if you install a different version using the package manager, and then uninstall it using the package manger it reverts to 29, no reboot required.

Edited by hollowface, 20 December 2014 - 02:47 AM.

#11 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:20 AM

And I do not like Nightly.

Neither do I, experimented with a 64 bit Mozilla browser a couple of years back that was of that type & it crashed a lot. May have been Waterfox. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,263 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:22 AM

@NickAU I was only talking about replacing with the package manager, if you install a different version using the package manager, and then uninstall it using the package manger it reverts to 29, no reboot required.

Oh OK, never done it that way.  I update stuff like that on puppy often, Eg Flash, Download it untar it and put it in the mozila folder.

Edited by NickAu, 20 December 2014 - 03:26 AM.

Arch Linux .

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,879 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:47 AM

O bejesus!  Thanks you guys so much!  I was about to give up, and like cat1092 was saying - and how I was feeling, it's not worth it lol.  I have not done it yet but I can see where I was going wrong, and I spent many hours doing this.  I believe the issue was, I was not clicking the UP Arrow AT THE BEGINNING!  I was searching the files that were already viewable and using the Arrow to Backup to the beginning to look at more.

Savefile: I am using a Savefile guys.

hollowface, I would love to know how to do this via. Package Manager also, I tried and could not.  All this while it is painfully slow to boot up via. DVD-RW lol.  I will be going to a USB once I feel comfy with it all.

NickAu1, I was just about to download Tahrpup and probably will anyhow, along with the FD700 beta1.  I'm guessing for what I do I won't experience many issues with this Beta.  It's just playing anyhow, and in the future - if I get better at all this - maybe one of these will go to my HDD. 

Thanks again pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:47 AM

a beta version is a trial run. If I were you I wouldn't get a beta (unless it were a fish).

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,879 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:29 PM

Thanks again guys, I got it!  Now what should I do with the firefox tar.bz2 that is in my Downloads? and what is a tar? LOL.

And, especially for all the work Nick did with the vids!

Note: I tried to save those old FF files to a usb but it did not work out.  I understand that I will never need them but thought I would give it a go.

Would another option be, to just Move the new FF file into /usr and just leave the old one there?  I just read that Seamonkey should not be removed in Puppy and understand that it's just seamonkey, but still it got me thinking.

I did some reading on puppy today, quite incrediblle!

I also noticed that the resolution was not good in Fatdog while watching the vid. that Nick made?

Thanks pcpunk!

Edited by pcpunk, 20 December 2014 - 01:56 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users