Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cant repair windows

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 mwbenge

mwbenge

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:36 PM

i have a laptop and the battery doesnt work. my kid unplugged it and when i turned it back on it went into repair mode. it was unable to repair. the problem is a boot critical file is corrupt. it is something like win32\driver\ ............

so i got a windows disk and when i booted from dvd drive and tried to repair, it said there was no problem. i also tried an upgrade install but it wouldnt let me because i booted from disk. i cant run the disk any other way because the pc wont boot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:43 PM

Welcome,

Have you tried to do a startup repair when you are booted from the installation disk?

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 mwbenge

mwbenge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:31 AM

Yes sir.it said no problem found. Os booted successfully.

#4 mwbenge

mwbenge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 01:38 PM

Then when it restarts its right back to start up repair

#5 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

I don't have a better solution -

Can you start fresh with a format and reinstall of the OS?

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#6 mwbenge

mwbenge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:41 PM

I could try. Will it let me do that if i boot fr
om dvd drive? It wouldnt let me upgrade install that way?

#7 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

Have you tried booting in safe mode? If you can enter safe mode by clicking F8 on startup you may be able to do a system restore.

#8 mwbenge

mwbenge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

It wont boot in safe mode either. Here is what i learned from the startup repair...
root cause foound. Boot critical file c:/windows/system32/drivers/fa1b2311547bf9d4.sys is corrupt. Error code 0x2
Sysytem file integrity check failed error code 0x490

#9 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 02:59 PM

This is a step by step guide to restoring Windows just in case you may have missed something.

The Windows 7 Recovery Environment is a way to boot your computer into an offline mode where you can run various recovery and diagnostic tools that can be used to try and resolve problems with Windows. This environment is particularly helpful in resolving issues when Windows crashes, does not start, or when you have malware that cannot be removed while Windows is running. Using this environment allows you to gain access to your files and Windows Registry information even when Windows is not started.

In order to access the Windows 7 System Recovery Environment you need to boot your computer in a certain way. The easiest method is to just restart your computer and start slowing tapping the F8 key. Eventually you should get to an Advanced Boot Options screen. Using the arrows on your keyboard, select Repair Your Computer and press Enter on your keyboard. If you do not see this option, continue reading, otherwise click here to skip to the next part.

If the Repair your Computer option is not available, you will need to boot your computer off of the Windows 7 DVD by inserting it into your DVD player and turning your computer on. Your computer will start and you should see the BIOS listing the hardware on your computer as well as other information. When that information has been cleared, your computer will see that a bootable DVD is inserted and present a prompt similar to the one below. If your computer does not boot off of the DVD, and instead boots directly into Windows 7, then you can read this guide on how to configure your bios to boot from a CD or DVD.

af7c295a-84d7-4ec7-9742-95c7e0e4d360.jpg

As you want to boot the computer from the Windows 7 DVD, you need to press a key on your keyboard, and any key will do, when you see the above prompt.

e59f16a2-a459-4f30-88d1-1506586196c4.jpg

At this screen you should configure the Language to install, Time and currency format, and Keyboard or input method options so that they are set correctly for your location and language. When done, please press the Next button. You will now be at the main Windows 7 setup screen where you would normally install Windows 7 on to your computer.

c09b9e01-884b-4726-87a5-b3338ed629ab.jpg

You should now click on the Repair your computer option to start entering the Windows 7 Recovery Environment.

You should now be a screen where the repair process will look for all Windows 7 installations on your computer. When done you will be presented with the System Recovery Options dialog box.

c0bfa6d1-51e1-4ae0-8fe9-42a384c200c2.jpg

Select the installation of Windows 7 that you wish to repair and click on the Next button. You will now be shown the System Recovery Options screen.

6e7eb29e-c594-4632-a197-4a91ddfd432a.jpg

This screen lists all of the available recovery options in Windows 7. These include:

Startup Repair

Startup Repair is an automated procedure that attempts to fix common issues with Windows that may not allow it to startup properly. This tool will automatically start when Windows is unable to start after a few attempts.

System Restore

System Restore allows you to restore your computer to a previous restore point. In the event that your computer is not working properly or randomly crashing you can restore your computer to a restore point that was made when your computer was operating properly.

System Image Recovery

System Image Recovery allows you to overwrite all the information on your hard drives with a system images created at a previous date. This allows you to recover your computer in the event that Windows becomes corrupted and cannot boot. It is also a useful tool if you wish to reset your computer to a system image created right after you installed Windows.

Windows Memory Diagnostic

The Windows Memory Diagnostic tool will scan the memory installed on your computer and look for errors. This is useful when you suspect that faulty memory may be crashing Windows.

#10 mwbenge

mwbenge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:04 PM

Yes. Start up repair from the disk finds no errors. I cannot restore because there is no restore point. Memory check is good.

#11 mwbenge

mwbenge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:07 PM

Also, i clicked on install and chose the upgrade option. It wouldnt let me do that because i booted from disk

#12 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:30 PM

Let's try to make a rescue disk.

Windows comes with a built-in repair environment called the Recovery Environment. Unfortunately, it is possible for the recovery environment to become inaccessible. The same tools can be accessed by using the Windows DVD that came with your computer, but unfortunately not many computer manufacturers actually provide the Windows media anymore. Therefore, it is suggested that you create the bootable Windows System Repair disc, which you can boot off of to access these troubleshooting and recovery tools when you need them. This tutorial will walk you through the process of creating this disc.

The first step is to insert a blank DVD or CD into the DVD drive you wish to create the disc with.

Then, if you use Windows 7, click on the Start button and type recdisc. At the top of the start menu you should see the recdisc filename appear and should then double-click on it.

Otherwise, if you are using Windows 8, type recdisc at the Windows Start Screen and then click on the recdisc search result when it appears.

The Create a system repair disc screen should now be open.

63f47026-e862-42eb-87a8-ce95bbd38cef.jpg

Select the drive that has the blank media inserted into and then click on the Create disc button.

f3e1952a-f2ae-434d-a4c4-07bc7a5c34ae.jpg

Windows will start to create the repair disc, and when finished, display one of these dialogs depending on the version of Windows you are using.

ddf141b2-8e96-495d-bbb6-3a4f2c9d5031.jpg    ca9938e1-9227-4f17-89f3-e47c434a3417.jpg

You can now click on the Close button and then remove the disc from your drive. Please label the disc and store it in a safe location. When you are ready to use it, simply insert it into your computer and reboot. Your computer should detect it as bootable media and ask if you wish to boot off of it. Follow the instructions it gives in order to boot your computer with the repair CD. Once the recovery environment is loaded, you can then access the recovery options that are available.

Edited by KingdomSeeker, 20 December 2014 - 03:37 PM.

#13 mwbenge

mwbenge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

i dont have a pc with windows seven except for the one that wont boot. plus i have a windows disk right here but the startup repair finds no problem

#14 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:01 PM

A rescue disk will try to overcome the issue on the install disk and get you running. It doesn't matter what OS the computer you download and burn it has. It should make a bootable disk for your Windows 7 computer to hopefully get it up and running.

#15 mwbenge

mwbenge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 04:41 PM

okay. im having problems finding recdisc on windows vista

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users