Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Excessive memory usage IE 11

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Msradell

Msradell

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:21 PM

I'm running Windows 7x64 on a Toshiba laptop, third-generation i3 processor, 16 GB. I'm having problems with Internet Explorer 11 not releasing memory and closing tasks. It keeps building up to the point where Internet Explorer freezes and I have to either close it completely or use process Explorer to kill some of the erroneous tasks.

I've tried running IE 11 without any add-ons and I have the same problem. I've also completely remove IE 11 all the way back to the base IE 8 that comes with Windows 7 and install everything from their up and still have the same problem.

Here's a link to a screenshot of what it looks like in process Explorer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/brhcwsk8v7zlq1l/IE%2011.JPG?dl=0

Any other ideas what I can trying to solve this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:15 PM

Try clearing the browser cache and history. You may also want to try resetting IE to its defaults, and check your settings. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

#3 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:27 PM

Try clearing the browser cache and history. You may also want to try resetting IE to its defaults, and check your settings. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/reset-ie-settings#ie=ie-11

That was obviously one of the first things I tried.  Uninstalling IE 11 all the way back to IE 8 and then reinstalling everything would've also done that again.  I obviously didn't list everything I've tried in my original post because I've tried so many things, I just listed the most radical ones, anything milder was definitely tried.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:30 PM

Then I would recommend running a full system antivirus scan. If it finds any malware, ask the moderator to move this to the Am I infected? forum.

If the AV scan doesn't flag anything, run sfc /scannow from the command prompt.

#5 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:33 PM

That's also been done using several different softwares including Malwarebytes, Windows Defender and Norton Eraser.  My system also uses Norton Internet Security for protection all the time.

I firmly believe it's a problem is not associated with malware of any type.

Edited by Msradell, 20 December 2014 - 08:34 PM.

#6 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:35 PM

Then it's likely a problem with a system file or files. Again, try running sfc /scannow from the command prompt if you haven't already.

#7 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:36 PM

I've also done that several times and it always comes back saying it has found no problems.

I've also done a Windows repair.

Edited by Msradell, 20 December 2014 - 08:39 PM.

#8 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:49 PM

Does this happen with particular websites? Or just generally?

#9 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:52 PM

It happens in general.  Sometimes it takes longer than others for the memory to build up.  I thought for a while it was associated with sites that had extensive flash player utilization so I tried complete removing that in the problem still happen without even being installed.  I then reinstalled the newest version of it.

As a side note, I also have Java turned off.

Edited by Msradell, 20 December 2014 - 08:53 PM.

#10 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 08:58 PM

That is a puzzler. Does it happen if you use another browser?

#11 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:01 PM

No it doesn't happen with Firefox or Chrome from what I can tell during the times I've used them.  I just personally like IE and have been using it forever.

#12 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:05 PM

I've got two IE sessions going now and it's not using nearly as much memory as yours. Try right-clicking the process and lowering the priority.

#13 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:56 PM

They are presently set at "Below Normal", should I try even lower?

#14 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,200 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:09 PM

The process is set to Below normal and it's still eating all that memory? Lowering the priority won't address the issue; there's something else causing it.

What AV software are you running? Some AV programs like Norton and AVG are known to cause this issue with IE 11. Also, if you have more than one AV program installed and running, I recommend picking one and deleting the other.

#15 Msradell

Msradell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:11 PM

I'm presently using Norton Internet Security although as a test a little while ago I tried Kaspersky Pure 3.0 and had the same problem while using it. NIS is the only one I have installed.

Edited by Msradell, 20 December 2014 - 10:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users