Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SLOW PowerPC G4 w/ four-drive RAID

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 buckley

buckley

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

Hello all,

I am trying to make the best of a free computer, but I'm having some painfully slow situations and not sure if it's the hardware or something else.

Dual 1.25 GHz PowerPC G4

2 MB L3 cache per processor

1 GB DDR SDRAM

Running OS X 10.5.8

I set up a striped RAID set across all four internal ATA drives (links to specs):

3x 172.6GB IBM IC35L180AVV207-1

1x 115.0GB IBM IC35L120AVVA07-0

I tried to transfer 64gb of data from a USB today and it estimated the time to be 25hrs.... This is less than a megabyte per second so something has to be wrong. At this rate the computer is going to be practically unuseable. I tried the same thing with a different USB storage device and the same thing. Took ages.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smax013

smax013

• BC Advisor
  • 2,329 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:33 PM

Sounds about right. Those are USB 1.1 ports, not USB 2.0 (let alone 3.0) ports. So they will be SLOOOOOOOOOOW.

To get files onto the computer, you would be better off using either FireWire external drives or use the network connection. The ethernet port should be Gigabit and there may be a FireWire 800 port (there will definitely be a FireWire 400 port).

Your Mac should be one of these two spec-wise:

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/specs/powermac_g4_1.25_dp_mdd.html

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/specs/powermac_g4_1.25_dp_mdd_fw800.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users