Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Search for a suitable laptop

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Stryking

Stryking

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:13 PM

My budget for the new computer is: Under $580 (Canadian Dollars!)

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?  Light Gaming

What software do you intend on using on the computer? games with infrequent music/video encoding

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? anywhere from indie to AAA titles. No need to be super pretty though

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? Usually I'll have some sort of VOIP program running, a game, IRC client, Music Player and browser

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? HDD is irrelevant here

Will you be overclocking? No

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? Canada

How many monitors are you planning to use? The one provided with the laptop

Do you need peripherals? OS? No. Any version of Windows post-Vista

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? My Samsung ****top bit the bucket (thank god)

Please note I'm looking for a laptop with good build quality! Manufacturers recommended to me so far are Asus, MSI and Lenovo. I'm open to ideas though.

I want at least 6 gigs of RAM. If there's less it needs to be compatible with the two sitcks of 4GB that came with my Samsung NP355V5C

Screen should be 15.6 inches with a 720p resolution

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Stryking

Stryking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 06:02 PM

Bump

#3 mb70x7

mb70x7

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:06 PM

Just a thought ....  (original) RAM from a 2012 system night not be a strong criteria for a new system? 

#4 Stryking

Stryking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2014 - 04:07 PM

Just a thought ....  (original) RAM from a 2012 system night not be a strong criteria for a new system? 

I don't quite understand what you mean... I'm just going to assume that you think that it's unreasonable for my criteria to include compatibility with the RAM from a laptop made 2 years ago.

It's expanding the laptops I can consider, not shrinking it. If you read it again you'll see that the only reason it would need to be compatible with said RAM is if it ships with under 6 gigs. By putting this exception in I'm opening the gates to some laptops that ship with 4 gigs of RAM instead of the minimum 6 I want.

#5 Stryking

Stryking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:38 PM

Bump!

#6 Stryking

Stryking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2014 - 11:15 PM

Boxing Day bump!

#7 Stryking

Stryking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 03:07 PM

I wonder if this is even worth the effort  :smash:

#8 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2014 - 01:52 PM

So 580 Canadian dollars is about 500 bucks US dollars. If you are wanting to do any type of gaming at all, you are going to need to spend a bit more than that. Anything for 500 bucks is going to have an integrated chip in it which will not do any gaming (unless you get the new iris pro 5200 intel chip, only laptop I know of that has it is this one and its $1000). I am a pretty big fan of lenovo, I have a Ideapad y580 and it is a solid machine. Bought it two years ago for school and for some gaming, again I spent over $1000 on it though.

Here is the Lenovo y40 lineup. The cheapest one in that bunch is $670. It will play some games. The GPU chip it has in it is stated to be upper mid-range.

I actually take back what I said, here is a Lenovo Z series laptop for 500 bucks that has an entry-level GPU chip in it. It is capable of playing recent games, but on very low settings.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#9 Stryking

Stryking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 28 December 2014 - 02:10 PM

So 580 Canadian dollars is about 500 bucks US dollars. If you are wanting to do any type of gaming at all, you are going to need to spend a bit more than that. Anything for 500 bucks is going to have an integrated chip in it which will not do any gaming (unless you get the new iris pro 5200 intel chip, only laptop I know of that has it is this one and its $1000). I am a pretty big fan of lenovo, I have a Ideapad y580 and it is a solid machine. Bought it two years ago for school and for some gaming, again I spent over $1000 on it though.

Here is the Lenovo y40 lineup. The cheapest one in that bunch is $670. It will play some games. The GPU chip it has in it is stated to be upper mid-range.

I actually take back what I said, here is a Lenovo Z series laptop for 500 bucks that has an entry-level GPU chip in it. It is capable of playing recent games, but on very low settings.

I understand that anything in that price range will have difficulties running modern games. However, if you look at the laptop I initially linked you'll see that it's integrated chip actually has very similar scores to the 820M.

If this is my only option I'll be sticking to what I've already found. It has more RAM, my preferred screen size and the two CPU's appear to be similar. If there was a 15.6 inch model I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

Thanks for your help though :)

#10 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2014 - 06:47 AM

I apologize I did not see a link to a PC in your initial post.

Looking back I still don't see a link for a laptop that you were looking at. Perhaps you forgot to include it?

#11 Stryking

Stryking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:51 PM

I apologize I did not see a link to a PC in your initial post.

Looking back I still don't see a link for a laptop that you were looking at. Perhaps you forgot to include it?

Well that's super embarrassing...  http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8463127&CatId=4935

#12 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:18 PM

So the card in that laptop is a very low end integrated chip. You can run some games on low settings but thats about it. Older games you probably can run, maybe not on high but it may handle it decent enough.

Here is the notebook check on that chip
http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-HD-8650G.87916.0.html

#13 Stryking

Stryking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:30 PM

So the card in that laptop is a very low end integrated chip. You can run some games on low settings but thats about it. Older games you probably can run, maybe not on high but it may handle it decent enough.

Since this is apparently a pretty bleepty chip, which integrated ones outperform it (paired with a decent CPU and not including Iris). I want to maximize my gaming performance on my low budget.

#14 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,416 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:48 PM

Since this is apparently a pretty bleepty chip, which integrated ones outperform it (paired with a decent CPU and not including Iris). I want to maximize my gaming performance on my low budget.

Your probably not going to get much better than that one. I would look at the Lenovo Z series that I linked above. They have dedicated GPUs and will outperform the integrated, all for around the same price as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users