Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Odd graphical issues & blue screening

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Prognostic

Prognostic

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

Hello all! Just looking for a little help with (what I hope is) a minor issue.

As of 2 days ago my computer has been acting strange. It first started a couple of nights ago when out of nowhere graphical issues appeared on my screens, small squares of varying colours appeared all over. These squares are larger than a pixel but still quite small. the computer promptly crashed. It was about 3 am at this point so I just decided to go to bed and left it. Fast forward to today. After turning it on I got as far as the welcome screen. I put in my login details and shortly after the graphical issues appeared again, this time not only squares but whole sections changed colour and became vivid. I didn't even get to see the desktop before the computer restarted. After restarting the graphical issues were there from boot, but now were horizontal lines, not quite blocking the view but enough to be annoying. They seem to be there every time I start up now. I can't make it to the login screen any more as the computer restarts long before I make it there. My only option is to start in safe mode (with networking)at which point I can finally get on the computer. That graphical issues are still there and wont seem to vanish. On top of that I also got a few bluescreens between restarts, but due to the errors and the screens vanishing pretty quick I couldn't actually read the errors.

Memcheck says it can find no errors during the scan (although there are no graphical errors either during the scan or in the boot menu...) but I can't log in after the restart to see the final results. I've tried removing sticks of ram and checking each one but they all give the same results individually.

I've tried updating some drivers (with the device manager) but I'm not sure which I should be looking to update.

I'd offer to post a screenshot but the errors don't show up on them. I've also tried a couple of different monitors, as well as single monitors to no avail.

I've attatched my DXDIAG, not sure if it will be of any use though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Conner

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 19 December 2014 - 12:54 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:36 PM

What memtest did you run? Memtest86+ is one of the most recommended: http://www.memtest.org/#downiso. Generally physical artifacts are caused by a vram (video ram) issue or hardware issue with the video chipset.

What type of computer is this: make, model?

You could try a bootable version of linux to verify this isn't a software issue or problem, linux mint should work: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

If linux crashes or displays a kernel panic, I would assume it is hardware related, if linux manages to boot, run some HD video from youtube or some other video website to see if putting a bit of stress on the video chip causes any crash. If linux runs fine and never crashes or there are no video artifacts in linux, you may have a failing hard drive which might cause a software/driver related problem, or simply just a driver/software issue in windows.

Edited by zingo156, 19 December 2014 - 01:37 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:48 PM

A speccy report would also be useful, if you can boot to safe mode try to run this:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.

• You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

• After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

• Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Prognostic

Prognostic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:52 PM

Thanks for the replies! I'm just running memtest 86 now so I'll reply again once that's done.

Make/model: it's a pc my friend built me but I've had it a few years now. I can post the parts if that helps?

I'll get the speccy report after this memtest finishes and post it.

I'm not as good with computers as I like to believe either, installing linux wont format the drive will it? I can just dual boot?

Thanks again for the patience guys!

#5 Prognostic

Prognostic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:15 PM

I let memtest86+ do a couple of passes and it found no errors.

The weird thing is that after it finished it's passes I restarted the computer, forgot to press f8 as it was booting so it booted in normal windows. I managed to log on and it's not reset yet, although the graphical artefacts have appeared for a second once or twice before refreshing the connection to the monitor and disappearing.

The Speccy thing is here: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/L26esQw5nSAe2R7kh2NwvEX

couple of things to note though, this is still running with only half of the RAM I have. I left the other half out whilst I was troubleshooting. The other is that I'm currently using my TV as a monitor. It's the only thing I can use whilst I've got my computer open on the floor.

Any word on the linux installation too? will I need to reformat or can I dual boot? is it easy enough to set up/remove?

Thanks again guys, here's hoping it stays fixed but I'd still like to know why it happened so I can fix it if it goes wrong again.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:34 PM

You don't need to install linux, you can boot it from a burned disc directly, I am looking at the speccy report right now and will let you know if I see anything obvious there.

Edited by zingo156, 19 December 2014 - 03:34 PM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

Nothing bad from the hardware report in speccy, temps are good, drives report good according to SMART data. My guess is you have a software issue or failing video card or possibly a power supply problem, most likely a video card issue... I would try linux to see if artifacts happen there.

Can you give me the make and model of the power supply?

Edited by zingo156, 19 December 2014 - 03:41 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users