Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Replace Intel Chipset w PNY GeForce2 GPU

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CainyG

CainyG

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:58 AM

My PC:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Computer type: Dell Studio Desktop 540

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200

Cores 4

Threads 4

Name Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200

Code Name Yorkfield

Package Socket 775 LGA

Technology 45nm

Specification Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz

RAM

Memory slots

Total memory slots 4

Used memory slots 4

Free memory slots 0

Memory

Type DDR2

Size 6144 MBytes

Channels # Dual

DRAM Frequency 399.9 MHz

Motherboard

Manufacturer Dell Inc.

Model 0M017G (CPU 1)

Chipset Vendor Intel

Chipset Model G45/G43

Chipset Revision A3

Southbridge Vendor Intel

Southbridge Model 82801JR (ICH10R)

BIOS

Brand Dell Inc.

Version 1.1.3

Date 8/25/2009

Graphics

Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset

Manufacturer Intel

Model G45/G43 Express Chipset

Device ID 8086-2E22

Revision 4

Subvendor Dell (1028)

Current Performance Level Level 0

Technology 65 nm

Driver version 8.15.10.2869

Count of performance levels : 1

Level 1 - "Perf Level 0"

Monitor

Name DELL SP2009W on Intel G45/G43 Express Chipset

Current Resolution 1680x1050 pixels

Work Resolution 1680x1020 pixels

State Enabled, Primary, Output devices support

Monitor Width 1680

Monitor Height 1050

Monitor BPP 32 bits per pixel

Monitor Frequency 59 Hz

Device \\.\DISPLAY1\Monitor0

Recently, I attempted to install a PNY Verto GeForce2 MX200, 32MB SDRAM, 2D/3D PCI Graphics Card (circa 2001) to use in place of my Intel Chipset. I wanted to install a more powerfull GPU to help meet todays computing needs. However, upon reboot, graphic drivers were corrupted and I spent the day fixing what I thought would be an easy graphics card install. So, I'd better get some advise before attempting install again...

I need to know how to correctly install the more powerfull, albiet older, graphics card. How I did it before was I shut off power to the PC, inserted the PNY Card, attached the VGA cable to the PNY Card and rebooted. The PC did not find the PNY card and defaulted to a generic graphics driver at 800 x 640. I then inserted the PNY software disk and attempted to install the PNY driver but I got an error message stating no compatabile driver could be found and to contact the “Administrator.” I then reattached the monitor to the Intel Chipset and rebooted. Upon reboot, my screen was in a ghostly black and white mode. This is where I stopped and began fixing the PC's errors. All is as it was and I need to know what I did wrong and what can/should I do when, or if, I attempt to install the PNY graphics card. Please note: I am very comfortable working with computer software issues but not so much with hardware. Thanks in advance and let me know if you need more information.

Edited by CainyG, 19 December 2014 - 11:00 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:50 PM

As far as I can tell there is no driver support for Geforce 2 MX cards in Windows 7 or Vista.  Windows XP drivers are available.  You can use the generic VGA driver, but it will give poor results.

TBH I think it will be slower than the Intel G43/G45 anyway, so unlikely to be worth the hassle.

7sbvuf-6.png

#3 CainyG

CainyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:05 PM

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the GeForce would be faster than the Intel G43/45 so I guess I should pass on this GPU install and either replace the mobo or save for a new computer.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:05 PM

As you might imagine it's difficult to get a direct comparison on near 14 year old hardware with newer stuff.  The best I could find is PassMark which shows a fairly bad result for the GF2 MX400.  I also included the HD6450 which is an example of a more recent budget video card, that sells for about $30.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 CainyG

CainyG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 05:29 PM

Good day jonuk76.

I went to PassMark and saw the results you mentioned;certainly looks like my Intel G43/45 is A LOT faster than the GeForce2. Thanks for the heads up on that! Convinces me to pass on another install attempt. I have been to Newegg and other similar sites and I cannot find a suitable PCI card. Seems like hardware for my 6 year old PC is not marketed anymore. Think I'll just look for another desktop computer next year.

Thanks so much for your time and effort helping me out-Much appreciated.

Happy Hoidays.

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,157 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:40 PM

Hi CainyG, I'm sure you can find a card that would work.  You may just be looking for the wrong type.

Is it one of these PC's that you have?  If so, the specifications show that it has a PCI Express x16 slot.  That fits with it having an Intel G43/G45 chip set which natively supports PCI Express.  Note PCI and PCI Express (often shortened to PCIe) are completely different standards.  Also for your information, PCI Express has several versions (PCIe 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0) but they are forward/backward compatible.  Your motherboard will likely have the PCIe 1.0 standard, but you should have no problems using a card labelled PCIe 2.0 or 3.0.

As to what kind of cards would work, if as I suspect, you are looking for a modest upgrade for desktop use, watching movies etc. but not running games, then something like the Radeon HD 6450 PCIe I mentioned is quite cheap, uses very little power, and should be fine for those uses.  If you wanted something with a bit more performance then that is possible too. It depends what you are looking to do :)

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users