Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop fried via usb / retrieving hard drive data

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmytheshoe20

Jimmytheshoe20

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:43 AM

Hi there

I just plugged in a usb powered massage cushion into my aging laptop (Advent 6553) and straight away the old codger conked out. Now it's completely dead. What happened? Can it be fixed? How much would it cost?

It's been an absolute trooper for me this laptop...had it for 6 years and never had a problem with it, not even had to reinstall windows once. So if it is a write-off I will accept its death with good grace considering its service over the years, but I would miss a lot of the stuff I had saved on there. How would I go about rescuing the data?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,919 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

Hello, and Welcome

If the computer does don't not power on try this first. Take out the battery and unplug the power adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power adapter but do not replace the battery. Power on the computer.

If that does not work, you can remove the hard drive and place it in a USB external enclosure or use a USB adapter like this. If the hard drive is a SATA then your external USB enclosure would be one of these. If an IDE then one of these.

#3 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:38 AM

Hello,

You may have triggered a short circuit protection, try powering down the whole machine (аs @JohnC_21 said) . Most likely the device you plugged in requires way more power than the USB port is able to supply, so you might want to keep from plugging it in in other PC or laptops.

If it turns out that the laptop isn't working even after powering it down - than most likely you've damaged your motherboard. Usually this wouldn't be worth replacing on an very old laptop, but your HDD should still be usable in another laptop and external enclosures. If your data is very important, in the worst case scenario, you can contact a data recovery company.

Best regards, Citizen WD

Edited by Citizen_WD, 19 December 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#4 Jimmytheshoe20

Jimmytheshoe20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:03 AM

Hello, and Welcome

If the computer does don't not power on try this first. Take out the battery and unplug the power adapter. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Attach the power adapter but do not replace the battery. Power on the computer.

If that does not work, you can remove the hard drive and place it in a USB external enclosure or use a USB adapter like this. If the hard drive is a SATA then your external USB enclosure would be one of these. If an IDE then one of these.

Thanks. How do I know if my hard drive is IDE or SATA?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,919 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:30 AM

Sata vs IDE. Edit: If you computer is 6 years old, I am pretty sure it will be SATA.

types-of-laptop-harddrive.jpg

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 December 2014 - 10:39 AM.

#6 Jimmytheshoe20

Jimmytheshoe20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:32 AM

I took the laptop into a shop and the bloke said one of the reasons the laptop might not boot is if the usb slot is broken and the pins inside are touching each other. Then he had a look and said it did look damaged, so it looks like this is the cause. Anyone know if this is something I might be able to fix myself?

#7 Jimmytheshoe20

Jimmytheshoe20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:52 AM

I unscrewed the laptop and unplugged the usb lead inside. The laptop now starts up but only displays a black screen. Then it shuts down and reboots after a minute. C'MON GUYS WE CAN FIX IT! WHAT NEXT?!

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,919 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:30 PM

If you need to install a new USB port you can check this video. It may work but it could cause more problems. You can get the USB connector on Ebay. There are other BC advisors on the Forum with hardware experience that could give a better answer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users