Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi/Router help needed!!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 comp_help2014

comp_help2014

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:31 AM

Hi,

I have a strong suspicion that my internet is not secure. I found suspicious activity in my gmail and I had to sign out sessions. it's still happening even after changing my router password several times and my gmail passwords.

My router has these options for security - WEP, WPA(TKIP), WPA(AES), WPA2(AES), WPA2 (TKIP), WPA2(mixed). Which one do I choose? I chose WPA2(TKIP) but the same problems are continuing. My browser keeps closing or crashing or freezing. Should I use a wired connection or a wifi? Please help me set up my router security properly.

I need some help here so that my internet wifi is secure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:48 AM

If you have changed your wifi password multiple times, it may be time to make sure the pc is clean as well. I would run scans with a few different AV applications

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/rkill/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/junkware-removal-tool/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/malwarebytes-anti-malware/

and see if anything is found.

In my experience, if you have changed passwords multiple times and still notice  these strange issues, it is possable yo may have a keylogger, but run some scans and you can repost the results for review in the av logs forum.

#3 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:43 AM

umm gmail has nothing to do with your home router. gmail is a server on the web. even if you set up an email client to read them rather than going to the web, what's in your inbox, even in the email client, has nothing to do with your home network.

what is "suspicious activity" ?

That being said...use WPA2 - Mixed. TKIP and AES are the encryption algorithms. AES is newer and stronger than TKIP but some devices can't use AES so you need to have TKIP avail to them. But if you set it to AES and all your wireless devices can connect then leave it, but if someone comes over and wants to connect, enters the pass phrase correctly, and still can't connect, the lack of TKIP might be the cause. From my understanding devices given a choice will connect using the stronger one, but I could be wrong on that.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#4 comp_help2014

comp_help2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:26 PM

Hi jkostar,

Could you please send me the link to av forum.

Thanks

Hi Cavedweller,

Thanks for your response.

#5 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:30 PM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/

or you can get to these from the bleepingcomputer home page and clicking on the forums tab, and this is listed under the security tab.

#6 comp_help2014

comp_help2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:46 PM

Ok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users