Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD & Asrock HTPC no longer boots up. Replaced mobo, but no change.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Joshche

Joshche

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:17 AM

Hi all,
I'm posting here for help with my new HTPC. The system is powering up, but not displaying any video. I'm not even sure if POST or Windows are loading. Here are system details.

-AMD A6 6400K 2-Core Processor
-ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ Motherboard
-Kingston SSDNow V300 60GB SSD (for OS)
-Corsair VS350 ATX Power SupplyMicrosoft
-Kingston Hyper X Fury HX316C10FBK2/8 8GB (2x4GB)
-LG CH12NS30 12X BD-R Blu-Ray DVD Combo Drive
-Silverstone ML03 Black Slim HTPC Case
-Windows Home Premium 64bit with SP1 OEM
-3 Additional HDDs.

I purchased the parts from Pccasegear.com and built the system 5 months ago, and it worked fine. 4 I months later I left it running after watching a YouTube video and it went into sleep mode, but never woke up. I tried restarting but just had a black screen. The system powers on with HDD and power LEDs showing. All CPU and case fans spin and the HDDs can be heard, but no audio or video is displayed on HDMI or VGA. No POST, no Bios, no windows, no start up sounds, nothing. Just a black screen on the HDMI and VGA outputs.

I tried a new PSU, different GPU, swapping around RAM, removing then replacing CMOS battery but still no video signal or boot screen. I figured it must be the motherboard, but took it to a PC repair shop to double check. He also confirmed it was the mobo (for $80!). Still under warranty I had the mobo replaced by PCCasgear, but after reinstalling the new mobo they sent me I had the same problem. It took the manufacturer 2 months to send the replacement and now the parts are out of warranty so I was hoping for some suggestions before I spend more money on a new CPU. I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions on how to figure out what the problem is. I don't want to buy a new CPU and find that it wasn't the issue.

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:35 AM

Sounds like it could be a CPU issue. To test this, remove ALL memory from the system and try to power on. You should get a beep code error if the processor is still functional (usually 3 beeps a pause then 3 more beeps then pause then 3 more beeps). If you get this beep code your processor is fine. If you dont get beep codes, the processor is more than likely dead. 

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Joshche

Joshche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:42 AM

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried starting the system without the two sticks of memory, but there were no bleeps or sounds. Just the usual black screen Do I need speakers plugged in to hear them soundsor does the mobo or case have a small speaker somewhere?

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:51 AM

No the internal speaker will sound off. Since you did not hear any beeps it sounds to me like it is the processor. See if it is under warranty still because if it has only last for about 5 months it could be you just got the crappy one :/. If you want to make sure, take it to a computer shop and see if they can test the processor for you, but they will probably charge you for it. We had a place here in town that did it for $10.00, so it may be worth it, but 10 to 1 it is the processor that has gone out. 

Gavin Seabrook

#5 Joshche

Joshche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:54 AM

Great, thank you very much for your suggestions. I will try to get the CPU replaced under warranty, otherwise I will just have to buy a new one.

Much appreciated!

#6 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 02:23 AM

Let us know when you get the new processor to see if it was indeed that!

Gavin Seabrook

#7 Joshche

Joshche
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:43 PM

Ok so i finally got my new AMD A6 6400k. It was only $70ish on Ebay! Straight away the system is working perfectly again. Thanks for the good suggestions!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users