Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange issues after "refreshing" win8.1

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 pcblues

pcblues

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:02 PM

Hello , I had win 8.1 64 bit, working fine when decided to run some scans in safe mode , however when done I was stuck , and after trying all options ( offered by OS ) and unable to go back to normal boot , with a storm brewing I chose the " refresh" option that assured me no files will  be lost etc.. 

To my horror it took me back to win 8, all my programs gone , all system restore points erased....bu at first glance files looked Ok. 

After the tedious task of upgrading again to win 8.1 and installing a miriad of updates, programs, adjusting settings that took the best part of two days..  now I discovered that while text files are all there.. my music folder suffered a big hit.. individual folders look same as before , but no mp3 files.. only album art remains.. strangely only some folders affected.. all up probably lost about 100GB..  but my C drive where these folders are , show the same amount of free space as before ...

Luckily I have  copies of the music on an external hd  , so I dont need to worry about recovering stuff...

I'd  love to hear how others fared with "refreshing" pc.. and any clues how or why this happened! Could those files be hidden somewhere or still in the folders but invisible..?  And can anyone explain why only some folders affected .

TIA :) cheers "pcblues"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:38 AM

Windows 8 refresh really sucks because it states you wont lose your files, but it does remove all programs that you have installed. This includes your music (if in iTunes folder). Windows has a stigma of having a great OS, then releasing a crap one, then a great one, then a crap one. Cant wait to see if Windows 10 is any better lol.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 pcblues

pcblues
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 06:29 PM

hey gavin ,

yeah all true about win 8-8.1 , thought I had it figured... alas it got the better of me..

But my concern is : how come it only deleted some files ?  They were not  Itunes, just your regular garden variety mp3 stuff . It would make more sense if it wiped the LOT, but only a few dozen folders affected ,why not the rest ?

At first glance it all looks same as before, the individual folders still there.. minus the music.. only album art left..

Also the free space hasnt changed.. if one deletes stuff .. it frees up space.. but not in this case..

so I'm wondering if its hidden somewhere.. I have no clue where to look , if I can't restore it , I'd prefer to delete it to tidy up the HD..  Microsoft sure has the magic touch.. maybe I should ask MS direct..

#4 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:17 PM

I have everything on separate partitions from the system files, that way all I have to refresh is the C drive which only has the OS. That's saved my tail a lot of times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users