Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mysterious cookies and system crash

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 CrimsonCricket

CrimsonCricket

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:57 PM

When deleting my cookies recently, I noticed I had one from "33across.com" despite not having visited that site.  Since I have FireFox set to never accept third party cookies, I got suspicious.  Especially after seeing what came up when I Googled it.  I decided to run Temporary File Cleaner after noting people who reported issues with the cookie returning after deleting it and having to use third party software . 

Sadly TFC froze partway through the scan and I could not get it to turn off using the "Exit" button or close option.  I tried to access Task Manager via ctrl-alt-delete, but the computer crashed a little after the options menu appeared.

"A problem has been detected and Windows has shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer.  If it appears again:  check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed."

It also gave a bunch of suggestions on what to do if I see this screen after rebooting, along with the following:

Technical information:

***STOP:  0x0000003B (0x00000000C0000005, 0xFFFFF800037B3CFE, 0xFFFFF880077E55E0, 0X0000000000000000)

Collecting data for crash dump...

Initializing disk for crash dump...

Beginning dump of physical memory.

Dumping physical memory to disk:  100

I was successfully able to reboot in safe mode with networking, where I found two "desktop.ini" files and Word documents with "~$" replacing part of the title.  I also had a window appear that said "Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown.  Windows can check online for a solution to the problem" and included information like Problem Event Name, OS Version,  Locale ID, Bccode, etc.  It also provided the location of .dmp and .xml files that are supposed to describe the problem.

I tried having Windows search for a solution, but the window eventually closed and left me staring at the desktop.  I was able to restart normally and the desktop.ini and Word files are still present.  I have also noticed some files now display their extention rather than just the file name.  Although 33across cookies have yet to reappear, I often find ones from Viglink.com.  I have tried clearing my cookies and revisiting every site from that session to see if visiting one in particular makes it appear, but it never does.  It only seems to happen at random.  Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users