Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Solid State Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stevansky

stevansky

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:17 PM

I have an old Dell E521 running Vista SP2 32bit and I'm wanting to replace my primary drive with an SSD. I've been told though that Vista doesn't support TRIM and that the life of an SSD would be shorter on my system vs. Windows 7 or higher. Are there SSD's out there that will work well with Vista? Thanks.

Edit: Topic moved from Windows Vista to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:54 PM

What they say about trim is a fact, but I have an old Acer mini with a 8 gig SSD.  It has had quite a lot of use and has been reloaded several time it is now five years old and still kicking with a Win 7 load.  IMO if you use the SSD for you OS and put the rest on your secondary you will get decent life.  I have a friend with a Vista SSD setup, when his got about a year old he saved his data then scrubbed the SSD.  He said he did not see any issues but also did not want any.  

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:44 AM

Upgrading to Windows 7 would just be a better all around fix because Vista is just bloated with issues (Even after all the updates). Most SSD drives have a pretty decent lifespan (TRIM or no TRIM), but I would recommend to get the better benefits and a better OS is just move to Windows 7. I have a 1TB Samsung EVO 840 Pro SSD in my rig and it runs like a champ and has an estimated lifetime of 15 years. I am such a Samsung Wh#$) though :).

Gavin Seabrook

#4 stevansky

stevansky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:19 PM

I have considered that but I think I would have to upgrade my computer as well to accomadate W7. I have my computer specs listed under my username. Don't know if anyone can see them or just me, but if you or someone can look at them see if you think my computer will run W7. If not I'll come back later and put them in for someone to review. Thanks for the reply.

Edited by stevansky, 22 December 2014 - 07:19 PM.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,777 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:57 PM

This gives you the specs!

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#6 stevansky

stevansky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2015 - 09:08 AM

Got a good deal on Amazon so I went ahead and bought a Samsung 850 EVO 250gb drive to install as my boot drive. Still running Vista. Thought I could run TRIM thru Samsung's Magician software BUT after I cloned and booted realized that the motherboard/bios in the computer does not support AHCI. I can see the SSD in Magician but I can't run any of the programs because AHCI isn't enabled. Seems to work ok, but not as impressed with it as I was when I put an SSD in my laptop. I appear to have the latest BIOS that Dell released for this system several years ago so I guess I'm stuck until I can upgrade to a newer computer/motherboard. Thought about looking at MB's but there probably aren't any that will mate up with CPU cooling duct, etc., of the Dell E521 case. Really spent more than I wanted to but I bought a WD Blue drive first and it was dead out of the box and wouldn't initialize so I ended up sending it back and getting the SSD.

Edited by stevansky, 27 August 2015 - 09:10 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,863 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:38 AM

Feedback appreciated, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users