Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Support/Non-Support

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mowpar

Mowpar

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:03 PM

While trying to fix my computer these last few weeks, with the help and support I received here.
I have a question, but I don't know if it has merit.
I seem to remember somewhere along, in through the many postings, someone said something about being unsupported, and I believe that my pc may be just that. After running D Ban I knew I would be destroying my windows 7. But I was led to believe, I think, that I could get everything back to the way it was before, by having my 25 digit code that referenced my copy of windows.

Since then I have never been asked or directed to enter this number anywhere.
I think in my head that I am unsupported, because when I am asked by windows or Dell i can't remember which at this time, do I want to search for the drivers I need to download, and it comes back unable to do this. And the same if I choose to upgrade a driver too. I have Internet connection so it is not that.

Can I enter my 25 digit number in to my computer some way or some how and be supported, or am not right about any of thiis.
My reason for thinking this is, every time I go back to a restore point I have to download all my drivers manually, it seems they should be there to install just by saing yes I want to install my drivers. I also have a disk of utilities and drivers, the only disc that came with my computer, but it seems my pc will not download my drivers from this disk. Do I have to set it up in Bios to have this disk to open and install, every time I put the disk in thinking I could get drivers to install off of it, it did not respond or seem to work.
I think maybe because of this unsupportive ness my computer to me seems to be, the only words I think of is frail, or susceptible. Hopefully this is a non issue, and it is all in my head. I need a computer psychologist for this. So if the doctors in, I would like to make an appointment.

Edited by Mowpar, 18 December 2014 - 06:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:30 PM

The 25 digit number referred to would be your product key which you would have entered when you installed Windows. Windows then activates it online. It usually takes about 30 days to activate. If it's been longer and Windows hasn't told you there was a problem with activation you should be fine there. From my experience it isn't uncommon for drivers to fail to install properly. The drivers on the disk are probably outdated. I'd suggest going to the manufacturer's webpage for your MB, and other devises and download the newest copies. It would also be a good idea to go into Device Manager in the Control panel and uninstall the old drivers before installing the new to prevent conflicts. I hop this answers your questions and gets it solved. Let us know if you need more or this isn't what you were asking.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,966 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:31 PM

Hello,

If you installed Windows 7 using a Dell disk on a Dell computer ( I believe it was Dell from your other thread)  then activation should be automatic. You can tell if  you have a genuine activated computer by going to Control Panel > System and Security. Click on System. It will tell you if you are activated.

genuinewindows7check_thumb.png

genuinemicrosoftsoftware_thumb.png

If there are no yellow exclamation marks in your Device Manager then there is no reason to update the drivers. Do you still have them in Device Manager?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users