Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup Software, would like opinion(s)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 trimmer1

trimmer1

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 PM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:33 PM

I'm using Macrium Reflect free but I'm going to buy a backup app. After MS patch Tuesday (Nov. 11th I think) my PC wouldn't boot, I had a backup on my Toshiba [1TB] external drive and Reflect free saved my a$$ big-time. I'm going to do a 'factory restore' soon because Win Live Mail, system restore don't work. Plus, 'find album info in media 12' (I get a script error, and a few other script errors) are happening. I've tried just about everything I read about how to fix these problems with no luck. Reflect free doesn't back up individual folders & files, I tried that. I'm using Thunderbird mail for now, it's not bad.

I know everyone has their own opinion as to which backup app is best. I'd like an opinion(s) on which one (In t/top #3) to steer me in t/right direction. Running W7 Home Premium x64. Thanks in advance,

-D.W.

Edited by hamluis, 19 December 2014 - 12:09 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:35 PM

Tbh for a backup program i use Acronis True Image 2015. It's worked well for me so far so im going to stick with it. And you can backup individual folders and files i believe.

Edited by Miguel_92, 18 December 2014 - 07:22 PM.

#3 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:46 PM

I have a system with a separate data drive, and an SSD for a boot drive. Once a week I use Acronis True Image Home to make an image of the boot drive, although I could use Clonezilla for this. I also clone the boot drive to another SSD as an emergency drive.

After that, I back up the data drive on another disk. To do this, I use Beyond Compare 3 (I don't know of a free utility that will do what BC3 does) to compare the copy with the data disk, then synchronize the copy to it. This normally involves a max of 3500 items and takes around 4 minutes. I keep two copies of everything on separate drives for security, so I do it twice. The Acronis image files are stored with the data disk backups in a separate partition. If I'm going to make major changes to the system, I do another Acronis image before the changes, just in case. Each disk image takes 8 minutes to create. Copies take 2 to 4 minutes and are in the range of 25 to 40GB.

The reason I've taken this approach is the fact that most incremental backup programs either don't work well, or are a pain to restore from. This way I have a complete copy of both drives on separate disks, ready to use. Very handy if I accidently delete something I'd rather keep.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:26 PM

Disk Imaging & Backup Software:Free alternatives include:Note: If you have Western Digital hard disks, then you can download Acronis True Image WD Edition Software for free.

Other Options:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:32 PM

quietman7:

Thanks for the list. Very informative. Now, do you know of a free equivalent for Beyond Compare that can sync two folders or disks?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:49 PM

Beyond Compare alternatives

ComparatorPro is what I have been using for years.

#7 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:00 PM

quietman7:

Thanks. They are comparable. They also cost about the same ($30US). Both have a trial version. The advantage to BC3 is that you can get a multiplatform (Windows and Linux) license, which I have done so I can load it into the Linux Mint system as well as Windows. The other nice thing is their policy of one USER, one license - you can install it on as many machines as you like, as long as YOU are the sole user. It's gotten to the point where I can't imagine operating without it.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:06 PM

You're welcome.

#9 trimmer1

trimmer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:37 AM

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate the input. There's more backup programs than I would have imagined - I hadn't gave it much thought until I needed to use Reflect free. I had never used it but it was real simple. The Linux rescue CD worked well. I've had this PC 4 1/2 yr.'s and lost everything once, 14 months ago.....I never want that to happen again. The last batch of MS patches went well. There's #1 1.30 MB .NET Framework update that won't install (KB2978128), I finally hid it.

Thanks again.

#10 davnel

davnel

• Members
  • 590 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:45 AM

trimmer1:

Since you have an older machine, you might not have dot-net 4.5 installed. KB2978128 is an update to dot-net 4.5.

If needed, you can get it here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653

#11 trimmer1

trimmer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

davnel - you're right. There's a bit of minor conflict - I'm not worried about it because the PC, I assume, takes care of that. Do you think I should install
.NET Framework 4.5, at the link you have here? I downloaded the 982 kb .exe file. It seems like MS updates would have updated that or I don't ned it.?

In my add/remove it shows .NET Framework 4.5.1 dated 8/26/14, but I opened "Turn Windows features on or off" and it shows "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1" with #2 (un-ticked) sub folders about Windows Communication Foundation HTTP and Non-HTTP Activation. I noticed this in "features" long ago, I've never had any reason to fool with them.

You and everyone else have been good help, thanks a bunch.

Edited by trimmer1, 19 December 2014 - 09:23 AM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,925 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:25 AM

Take a look at Aoemi Backupper Standard. It's free and it also does file backups including the ability to do incremental and differential. It allows you to make a WinPE boot disk too.

http://www.backup-utility.com/features/schedule-backup.html

Aoemi also has a WinPE builder for Windows 7 and up that creates a WinPE boot disk with their tools (including backupper) and the ability to use it as a file recovery tool in case the computer does not boot.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 December 2014 - 09:27 AM.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:42 AM

Take a look at Aoemi Backupper Standard. It's free and it also does file backups including the ability to do incremental and differential. It allows you to make a WinPE boot disk too.

A new one to add to my list.

#14 trimmer1

trimmer1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:52 PM

JohnC & quietman7: Yes, Aoemi Backupper standard does backup individual files & folders, so it says, I'm looking at it now. You guys have been more than helpful, I really appreciate that. As to the .NET Framework 4.5 link danvel posted: I'm unsure of it. I'm going to be sure about it before I do. Regards,

-D.W.

Edited by trimmer1, 19 December 2014 - 03:55 PM.

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:16 PM

As a matter of practice, I always install .NET updates separately by themselves after installing all other updates and patches for the OS. I cannot remember the last time I had a .NET installation failure doing it that way.If you run into an issue installing, using .NET Framework or applying an .NET Framework hotfix or service pack, please follow the instructions provided by Aaron Stebner in his Blog article What to do if other .NET Framework setup troubleshooting steps do not help. Aaron works for Microsoft, answers questions at the MSDN forums and writes about .NET Framework issues on his Blog.

1. If repairing the version of .NET Framework that is causing the problem does not work, Aaron recommends using the Microsoft .NET Framework Repair Tool (NetFxRepairTool.exe) which detects and tries to fix some frequently occurring issues with the setup of or with updates to the Microsoft .NET Framework 4 and .NET 3.5 SP1 (includes .NET 3.0 SP2 and .NET 2.0 SP2).

2. If the repair tool does not help, Aaron next advises to go to the Add/Remove or Programs and Features in Control Panel and uninstall the version of the .NET Framework that is causing problems. If uninstall still fails read the .NET Framework Cleanup Tool User's Guide, download the .NET Framework cleanup tool and remove the version of the .NET Framework that is causing problems.

3. If the above steps do not resolve the problem, then uninstall all versions of .NET Framework and before reinstalling, read Aaron Stebner's Blog article Should I re-install the versions of the .NET Framework in a specific order?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users