Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netgear Firewall Compromised

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 progan01

progan01

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:13 PM

My IP address has been fixed to a single number and I can't get it to change. The configuration screen for my Netgear FVS318G won't let me change to a static IP address, switching back to 'Get from ISP' when I attempt to reset it. Short of doing a hard reset on the firewall, which will cost me my logs, is there anything I can do here to change this behavior?

I appreciate the help. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:02 PM

Do you have all the information to input? The Static IP, the IP Subnet Mask and the Default Gateway? You'll need all three from your ISP. If you don't have your Reference Manual. See page 2-4 in the .pdf ProSafe 8-port Gigabit VPN Firewall. That will be a detailed step by step guide.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 progan01

progan01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:18 AM

I didn't when I posted. But now that I have, something odd is going on. The router reports I am connected, but though the 'Test' button takes me to the netgear.com page as it should, the page does not display. The URL shows, the router reports everything is working, and yet pages do not resolve. I'm not sure this is a DHCP issue. That should still be handled by my router.

Nonetheless, I could not complete this note without reverting to dynamic IP again which, once again, defaulted to the fixed IP address 68.51.172.241. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Should my subnet mask be 255.255.255.252, or 255.255.255.1? Is this even cogent?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

Since you shared your IP of 68.51.172.241. I am somewhat familiar with Comcast business class service. They are notoriously difficult to set up for the average home/SOHO user. Especially when you get a VPN device inserted in their network. My suggestion is to contact their technical support team. Have them walk you through step by step setup instructions and testing before you hang up. Then when you have it all set up. Ask for them to email your particular set up to you for future reference.

From some searching regarding static IP's from Comcast. I've found that they require a Comcast supplied modem/gateway with a custom setup. I have not verified that. But wouldn't be surprised. So there are more variables in your scenario that need to be confirmed.

This is why I suggest you go through your ISP to get it set up and tested.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 progan01

progan01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:41 PM

Thanks, Animal. I called Comcast and got to 2d Level Security and sorted it out.

You are correct -- static IPs are assigned by Comcast since they charge for the privilege. They didn't tell me I needed a Comcast-supplied moderm or router, but since they publish the list of compatible devices and mine were on them, I don't think that would have been an issue. They were more miffed that I had the temerity to even try to use a fixed IP of my choosing, though they understood it was for testing only.

They told me that I was not the only Michigan user getting plugged into Georgia. They had been updating their local server and had shunted users down there until they completed the work. I re-enabled dynamic IP assignment, reloaded all pages, and even without rebooting either modem or router was able to re-establish local connectivity. So their upgrade had finished, it seems, and I was able to restore my connectivity.

Though I must report it was not an immediate thing. It took time for my rig to find a DHCP server, though Skype connected without an issue, silently, and longer still for pages to actually appear under their proper URLs. Nonetheless it happened, my latency is no longer 45ms, and I have no further problems with my browser crashing -- with the sole exception of the Comcast TV listings page, which crashed me like a cheap Renault.

Thanks for your help, Animal. I appreciate the advice and suggestions. My problem is resolved, and I camp happily now.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:26 PM

I'm glad you were able to get your service working. Thank you for letting me know you were successful. Happy camping is fun camping. Enjoy your service.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users