Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

very odd issues with sound/audio

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sushiandpie

sushiandpie

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:36 AM

Hello! I've posted here a few times, but I have a new problem today. As of around Monday, my laptop has had very interesting issues with its audio and sound functions. It started when I was using itunes (which is a fully updated version.) Ocassionally, the music would "hang," skip, or just temporarily freeze. The program itself wasn't freezing, just the music. It was very disconcerting, and I quickly found that it could be a CPU issue. I closed down a few programs and it seemed to go away. However, the problem has returned with full force, and seems to have gotten worse. Itunes will randomly stop playing (no sound whatsoever even tho the player itself is NOT frozen and I can freely scroll thru my library) and all youtube videos will only play a few seconds before coming up as an error, no sound. Restarting my laptop does seem to help sometimes, but all the issues return after a while.

On top of this, when I scroll my mouse quickly in Firefox as well as Chrome, my music crackles and there is a static playback, as if my laptop cannot handle me simply using a browser AND playing music at the same time. Any time I open a tab or put any sort of load on the laptop the problem compounds and I almost can't hear the music over the horrible noise. I checked my CPU usage and found that it was barely topping 60%, sometimes dipping as low as 30% when this issue is occurring. It doesn't seem to be a CPU pull that is the issue, but at this point I'm not even sure any more. I have updated all drivers within the last year or so, but that could also be a possibility. I am a freelance artist, and I need to listen to music in order to work, so this has been very hampering to my creative output! Any possible solutions would be very welcome. I am not SUPER computer savvy, but I would very much like to hear what you guys have to say about this one.

My laptop will be a year old on Christmas. As an aside, I tested to see whether this would occur with an in-browser music player (such as Spotify) and the issues are there as well.

Edited by sushiandpie, 18 December 2014 - 12:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:22 AM

That is a pretty high CPU usage. Check and see what is using that much CPU because watching a youtube video or itunes should not take more than 5% usage (watching youtube as I type this and my cpu usage is between 1-5%). 30-60% is why your audio is stuttering because your computer is trying to do something else intensive in the background. 

Gavin Seabrook

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:41 AM

If you have an integrated sound card you can go to Control Panel/Device Manager, find Sound devices, and uninstall then reboot Windows should reintsall fresh drivers for you.

#4 sushiandpie

sushiandpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:44 PM

That is a pretty high CPU usage. Check and see what is using that much CPU because watching a youtube video or itunes should not take more than 5% usage (watching youtube as I type this and my cpu usage is between 1-5%). 30-60% is why your audio is stuttering because your computer is trying to do something else intensive in the background. 

Because I do art, I have some heavy hitting programs that I unfortunately have to have up (Photoshop, for instance.) When my computer first starts up, I am usually running between 4-7% CPU usage. I decided to turn on my task manager to see where the CPU was being used, and it seemed to be functions of iTunes itself (Mobile Device Helper as well as Windows Audio Device.) These would often be running over 30% CPU which is unacceptable. Is there any way I can drop these numbers? I do have a smart device and do sync it semi-frequently to iTunes, so I don't want to completely disable those functions if they would interfere with using iTunes properly. Thankyou for your response in advance!

#5 sushiandpie

sushiandpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:45 PM

If you have an integrated sound card you can go to Control Panel/Device Manager, find Sound devices, and uninstall then reboot Windows should reintsall fresh drivers for you.

I will see what drivers I can get installed, I might be needing new ones so that's probably a good idea.

#6 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 19 December 2014 - 01:20 AM

I agree with Kingdom. Try seeing if there are newer drivers after you uninstall the devices since you have software that you know needs have higher CPU usage. Do you mind posting your system specifications?

Gavin Seabrook

#7 sushiandpie

sushiandpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 01:21 AM

I agree with Kingdom. Try seeing if there are newer drivers after you uninstall the devices since you have software that you know needs have higher CPU usage. Do you mind posting your system specifications?

Sorry about the silence, I have been working nonstop for the holidays. Here is a screenshot of my specs!

http://gyazo.com/059f28bb1f5c884de4a6ee0552db9e73

I will be working on tracking down new audio drivers. The issue seems to come and go, so I am going to see if the new drivers help.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 02:41 AM

Hi sushiandpie :)

Forgive me to get in this thread so late, but if you want, I can offer you my assistance to track down the exact and updated drivers you need for your sound card :) All I would need is your Windows version (8 or 8.1) and your computer/laptop brand and model. These can easily be found under a laptop, on a sticker, or on a computer case, on a sticker as well. Alternatively, you can press on the Win Key + R keys and enter dxdiag to run the DirectX Diagnostic tool. From there, accept to verify if the drivers are digitally signed, then take a screenshot of the dxdiag window and attach it to your next post :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users