Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD Curious Problem with hal.dll (hal+0x37213)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Yunoo

Yunoo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:18 PM

Hi everyone,

this is my first time to post here. I would really appreciate if you could help me fix this, rather curious problem imo.

Background:

I have built this computer since beginning of 2014, it is mostly used for gaming and photo processing.

Specs:

Asus Z87-Pro

Intel i7 4770k @ 3.50GHZ

Windows 8 64-Bit

Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Ti (Gigabyte Windforce Edition)

2x8 Kingston HyperX Beast (KHX2400C11D3/8GX)

Windows is on Samsung SSD 840 EVO

The Problem:

- Computer crashes with a WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR during gaming (it only crashed once while using Lightroom)

- The timing of the crash is totally irregular, sometimes it doesn't crash for weeks. The error is always the same error.

My actions:

- I changed the PSU unit from Corsair GS 800 to Corsair RM 850 as it used to produce a funny sound 

- As it would still crash after that I updated all drivers and changed the direction of the radiator fans of the corsair h100i

- Crashes became much less, but would still happen at least once a month

- I replaced the fans on the radiator with new ones (Corsair SP120) on Dec 4

- I have had since that a crash every 1 to 2 days while playing WoW (I haven't tried any other games), the most frequent so far

- I have uninstalled Corsair Link

- I enabled XMP#1 profile in BIOS a few days ago, but it is still crashing

Additional Info:

- I changed the fans on the radiator as the standard ones were too loud, not because of the crash. The computer is elevated above my desk, nothing is blocking air and the case is big enough. During the summer months up to now, air conditioning would run to cool the room and would hit the computer case almost directly from above. Since I am now not using air conditioning anymore I switched to the SP120 as the standard fans would just get too loud without cool air hitting the case. I only switched the fans on the radiator and left everything in the case untouched (fans expelling air from inside the case over the radiator to the outside).

- The crashes during WoW are completely irregular, it can go for hours without a crash, on other days it crashes twice in two hours after playing for a while. (I have attached a picture with all crashes, you can see that since Dec4 it is more frequent)

- I have been monitoring temperatures of both CPU and GPU but could find nothing odd. CPU would be between 45-55 (sometimes spike to 60) and GPU would be around 80-83 according to MSI during WoW. (According to MSI CPU Core temp would sometime jump up to 10 degrees but go directly drop back, I assume this to be measuring errors)

Here the Error via WhoCrashed

System Information (local)

computer name: XXXX
windows version: Windows 8.1 , 6.2, build: 9200
windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: All Series, ASUS, ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., Z87-PRO
CPU: GenuineIntel Intel® Core™ i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Intel586, level: 6
8 logical processors, active mask: 255
RAM: 17115197440 total
VM: 2147352576, free: 1911853056

Crash Dump Analysis

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Wed 12/17/2014 2:18:21 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\121714-8203-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x37213)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFE001FA010028, 0xBF800000, 0x124)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time. 

What do you think of this problem? It would appear to be a thermal problem at first, but then again it is not really consistent, as it would also happen while cooling the case. Could it be the RAM (installed in DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2)? I haven't run the Memtest86+ yet, as I haven yet to figure out how to run it. 

Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:27 AM

Yup, probably memory issues. Need to run the memory tests.

#3 Yunoo

Yunoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:03 AM

I haven't had a crash since 4 days, ever since I removed the side cover from case. Apparently it was the temperature after all... (GPU runs 3-4 degrees lower with 77 CPU runs 5-6 degrees lower with 55)

Now I only have to understand why as there should be enough air flowing...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users