Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

World War I

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 nickautomatic

nickautomatic

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:52 PM

I was trying to search on the Internet about the history. Can anyone post here the story? How it began? What happened? What are the countries

involved? Every information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 11,708 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:03 PM

World War 1 was started by 1 man Gavrilo Princip, The first show was fired by him in Sarajevo.

The Assassin | 60 Minutes | Gavrilo Princip Fired The Deadliest Shot In History

BBC WW1 Documentary
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLqYm-AFA-mm9hHQZel0GZLS1mczzfyOGq

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:48 PM

Just out of curiosity, I typed 'WW 1' into Google and got 183,000,000 hits. There must be something in that lot to satisfy your own curiosity ?

Project Gutenberg ?

Chris Cosgrove

#4 nickautomatic

nickautomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the response NickAu.

#5 Guest_JWebb_*

Guest_JWebb_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:32 PM

Wikipedia

World War I, also known as the First World War or the Great War, was a global war centred in Europe that began on 28 July 1914 and lasted until 11 November 1918. More than 9 million combatants and 7 million civilians died as a result of the war, a casualty rate exacerbated by the belligerents' technological and industrial sophistication, and tactical stalemate. It was one of the deadliest conflicts in history, paving the way for major political changes, including revolutions in many of the nations involved.

#6 nickautomatic

nickautomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:37 PM

Is there a movie that is related to WWI? Like the movie titled The Pearl Harbor-how the world war 2 started.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:34 AM

Like the movie titled The Pearl Harbor-how the world war 2 started.

The official date given by historians as the start of WW2 was Sept. 1, 1939.

Pearl Harbor was attacked on Dec. 7, 1941.

WORLD WAR 2 DID NOT START WITH PEARL HARBOR.

Pearl Harbor was the catalyst for the United States to get involved in WW 2.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 December 2014 - 12:36 AM.

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:41 AM

:lmao:

Ignorance wasn't enough bliss in this case.

#9 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:27 AM

WWI's catalyst was labelled officially as the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand at Sarajevo; howevever, that was just the final straw, there was rising tension and rivalry that turned this event into the catalyst that it has been recognised as today.

Edited by Ezzah, 18 December 2014 - 02:27 AM.

mYIGVc5.png

#10 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:16 AM

Short summary of world war 1:

1914, various European powers are divided into two alliances, one is a group of Britain, France and Russia, the other is Germany,the Austro-hungarian empire and Italy. There is also a complex netwrok of treaties, some binding countries to help others to defend each other should one be attacked, others of a less certain nature leading many countries to suspect that others are preparing for a pre-emptive attack. In summer of 1914 The Serbain black hand ganag assassinate the Austro-hungarian emperor(Archduke Franz Ferdinand) in Sarajevo. The Austro-hungarian empire responds with a threat to Serbia, which is an ultimatum more-or-less designed to be so humiliating that Sebia will refuse to agree to it's terms. Serbia does indeed reject the ultimatum Austria-hungary wishes it to sign so Austria-hungary invades Serbia. At this point The other powers notice this occuring and one-by-one step in, Russia(which has a defensive alliance with Serbia) attacks Austria-hungary, Germany sides with Austria-hungary, then Germany enacts the Schlieffen plan. This involves charging through Belgium, taking Paris (becuase Germany knows France(which has defensive treaty with Russia) will also attack them) and then sweeping back round to fight Russia. And this is where Britain was dragged in, when Germany marched through Belgium Britain came to Belgium's aid (as they had agreed in the Treaty of London). The German advance continued until they were near Paris at which point Britain and France were able to stop the advance and the western front settled into a stalemate of trench warfare. Germany also had to send a proportion of it's troops to the Russian front, where originally they had planned not to do this until France was beaten (which they had expected to do quickly). The war also spread to the colonies controlled by various european empires, with Germany attempting to spark revolutions throughout British and French territories. These conflicts on the eastern front of WW1 and around the rest of the world are largely forgotten but altogether cost a similar number of lives to the famous mud, blood and trenches of the western front. Italy had switched sides before the war began and allied itself with britain and France, Italian troops mainly fought against Austria-hungary in the alps on Italy's northern borders. Throughout the conflict both sides developed new weapons and tactics hoping these would give them the edge needed to break the stalemate. In 1917 Russia erupted in revolution, germany had played a role in this by helping Lenin to return to Russia, this revolution caused Russia to turn neutral. American involvement in World war 1 came in 1917, although america contributed troops to the front they were too little and too late to have a signifcant effect on the War, if they had remained neutral throughout the War would still have been a loss to Germany and it would not have lasted much longer than it did. America entered world war 1 when a telegram from Germany to Mexico encouraging Mexice to attack the southern states of the USA was decoded by the British and supplied to America. Eventually blockades and conflict starved Germany of the raw materials it needed for industry, war and feeding it's own people, the German economy collapsed and they were forced to agree to a ceasefire(11th november 1918), later (in 1919) the war was truly ended (although the fighting had ceased months earlier) when Germany signed the Treaty of Versailles. This Treaty eventually led to another German economic collapse, from which Hitler was elected as the German ruler. Although World War 1 was thought the "war to end all wars" it's aftermath created the conditions for the second world war to begin.

Edited by rp88, 18 December 2014 - 10:19 AM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

@Queen-Evie #7

Some would even claim that it started on the 17th July 1936 when General Franco and his allies started the Spanish Civil War by starting a revolution against the democratically elected if left wing government of Spain. Certainly the Spanish Civil War is often regarded as the 'dress rehearsal' for WW 2 involving as it did military and economic aid from a number of other countries - Germany, Italy and Russia principally - as well as volunteer soldiers from many other countries throughout the World

Another commonly regarded starting point is the Japanese invasion of China starting in July 1937, although there had been scattered fighting between these two since about 1931. This was the start of the economic expansionism by Japan that led to the invasions of Malaya and Burma as well as fairly directly to the attack on Pearl Harbour.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:19 PM

Chris, it is debatable when it started.

I just posted what the historians set as the "official" start date.

Everything that went on before that date were contributing factors.

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,959 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:59 PM

As for movies on the subject of WW 1, you could do worse than watch 'All quiet on the Western Front', the film of the book of the same name by Remarque and, for a slightly more attitudinal view the film 'Oh, what a lovely war'. There are plenty of others.

As for when WW 2 started, agreed, the commonly accepted date is the 1st September 1939 when Hitler's Germany invaded Poland, although most Brits if asked would say 3rd of September 1939 ! 

Chris Cosgrove

#14 nickautomatic

nickautomatic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 143 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:42 PM

Guys, can you suggest a movie for us to understand more about WWi and ii? Most likely, true to life story like 'The Fly Boys'.

Edited by nickautomatic, 18 December 2014 - 09:43 PM.

#15 georgehenry

georgehenry

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 05:40 AM

I always think 3rd September 1939 as the start of the second world war. I was living in Brighton, on the south coast of England. Vans with loudspeakers on them came round the streets telling us that the war had started. As we were living on the south coast my mother thought that there might be an invasion, so in December 1939 we moved to Hampstead (my birthplace) in North London, straight into the "blitz". I spent the next couple of years watching "the battle of Britain" from a big hill on Hampstead heath. and sheltering at night from the air raids, either in the Hampstead underground railway station or the basement of our house. The rest of the war was a doddle. Just doodle bugs (V1 flying bombs) and Rockets (V2's). I have since developed an interest in the first world war. Compared to the horrors of that, WW2 was a doddle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users