Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AVG

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Mowpar

Mowpar

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:58 PM

Where can I go to get a AVG'S virus protection. download.  I am looking to download the Free anti-virus, edition.  Not the free trial edition.  Everywhere I look all I can find is either a paid for download or the 30 day free trial edition download.

Thanks for your help'

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 December 2014 - 04:34 PM.
moved from Windows 7 to the appropriate forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_LighthouseParty_*

Guest_LighthouseParty_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:13 PM

Hello there,

You can download the free version of AVG from here.

Hope this helps :)

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

Use this link...AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition download by MajorGeeks

The link provided by LighthouseParty is a redirect to CNET which unfortunately comes from the official AVG website.

I do not recommend downloading anything from CNET. With CNET, BrotherSoft, Softonic, FreewareFiles and Tucows and similar third-party download hosting sites, you always have to be careful with deceptive download links and bundling of unwanted software.More information and Best practices for downloading software can be found in this topic:
About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Mowpar

Mowpar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:08 PM

Thanks guys,

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:35 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

#6 jimbotoo

jimbotoo

• Banned
  • 297 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:44 PM

Use this link...AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition alternate download

The link provided by LighthouseParty is a redirect to CNET which unfortunately comes from the official AVG website.

I do not recommend downloading anything from CNET. With CNET, BrotherSoft, Softonic, FreewareFiles and Tucows and similar third-party download hosting sites, you always have to be careful with deceptive download links and bundling of unwanted software.

More information and Best practices for downloading software can be found in this topic:
About those Toolbars and Add-ons - Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs)

Hey quietman  :thumbup2:

love your style

We can add another good company gone bad, now  offering free, low operating stuff " with a pay up grade" to the list of vampires downloading pups and crap ware--youtube down loader now called/renamed-- Y T Downloader, cause there was so many look alikes

For me a computer is a file cabnet for music, art and the like, thats why new programs matter not a bit to me, they all come with nothing till i load them with my culture.

So youtube down loader was nice, down load a great music vid for my sterio phone, big buck head phones that compensate for digital chatter, 1000's of classic art pics, music and slide show, glass or three of red shiraz wine--nice!

But after raiding you tube for sane culture, i always deletted youtube down loader and  down loaded again when needed.

It was a computer slower if ever there was one.

So the other day i go to down load youtube downloader and it is no longer called that as C-net pointed out, it is now y t downloader

I go to the actual company site to get "only their pupfree" copy, so i don't get a C-NETTED down load bug hidden one, pups Etc., but nottice  i have to op out a ton of new stuff never there before and my computer acts funny, after i get about ten vids from youtube

I decide to run malwarebytes, it finds two major bugs so deep in the new Y T downloader, -IT DLETES THE WHOLE PROGRAM TO REMOVE THEM- y t downloader gone down the malware bites drain can.

PEOPLE IT IS NOT GOOD FOR US TO LIVE WITH ALL THIS FEAR AND LOTHING, IT WEARS DOWN ALL OUR MOTHERS HARD WORK TELLING US WAY IN SIDE WE ARE SAFE AND WONDERFUL.

Anyway, i am glad i got most of what i want off the net.

what interest me is that in many of these other less good then america countrys web sites are not allowed to do this stuff, I got offered a search engine the other day that blocked all american sites, just did not offer them when you went to look for something hint  hint  hint  .

I tried the other youtube down loader look a like that made the original change their name and it was a mess to use.

quietman, my appologees for last pm, I type very fast, i forgot to spell check it, checked it latter, don't know how you still got my compliment

you must be a linguist.

ALL MY BEST TO EVERYBODY  :hello:

ps my spell check still does not work at this site sorry for type-os

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:09 AM

quietman, my appologees for last pm, I type very fast, i forgot to spell check it, checked it latter, don't know how you still got my compliment
you must be a linguist.

Not a problem. I do the same myself sometimes.

#8 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:45 AM

You can get it from http://free.avg.com/gb-en/free-antivirus-download but this links through to a cnet page for donwloading from. i think it's pretty poor of AVG to use a third party site for download, but as long as you run an ad blocker and avoid the fake download links which occur on most pages on download sites then you should be fine. make sure to check the file you download to ensure it's signature is correct. Once you have AVG's installer downloaded keep hold of it. You never need to download the installer from the cnet page again, just keep a backup and if you ever need to reinstall AVG (or do it on another computer) then run that exe file, it will ask you to connect to the internet and it wil install the most up to date version. I have found that through experience. Even though the installer you download this time is for todays version of the antivirus many months from now you can use the same exe file to install the most recent version for then, as the exe file basicaly just starts an installation process that needs an internet connection throughout (so though the exe file may get old it will always install the most recent avg version).
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:59 AM

You can get it from http://free.avg.com/gb-en/free-antivirus-download but this links through to a cnet page for donwloading from...

Yes...that is AVG's official site which redirects to the CNET download link already provided by provided by LighthouseParty AND the reason I posted a safe alternate site. MajorGeeks hosts the full setup files for both 32-bit and 64-bit versions. If you ever need to reinstall but have lost your Internet connection, the full setup works offline.

#10 Mowpar

Mowpar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:54 AM

I went to Major Geeks to download AVG, but it was impossible for me to find the actual download. I found it to be almost as misleading as a Google search, I guess they too are paid by other download sies to mislead the public.
It's all about dat base, no it's all about dat money!

I did not check out the link rp88 put up, would mot work for me and this iPad, but it would also have to be misleading. I hope AVG is getting paid well by everyone using there good companies name to try to scam people.
Nothing's ever simple.

I did go to cnet and downloaded from there thinking that my virus and malware protection would shield this action. Believe it or not, the download went off without a hitch, this would be my first attempted download from them that did not try to give me one thing or another, mostly viral. I guess the guy in charge of screwing up other people's computers that works for them was asleep.

I'll just bet this company is very proud of its short lived heritage. I hates'em

Edited by Mowpar, 18 December 2014 - 12:00 PM.

#11 Mowpar

Mowpar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:13 PM

I did get your link rp88 to open. What I would like to do is save this link, to notes on my iPad. Can any one tell me how to move this link? I tried clicking on the site holding down and then copy, but when I pasted it, it was no longer a hyper link just written words no link.
If I tried anything else with the moving of this link it would just connect to AVG.
Reason I want it is because after thinking I got what I wanted from cnet, it turned out it was the free version, but it was the free version of the trial.
And I am hesitant to remove it and replace it now. I am just going to wait til trial runs out and the use this link.

Again thanks for all the help.

Edited by Mowpar, 18 December 2014 - 12:17 PM.

#12 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:17 PM

It becomes the trial version if you choose the option to run the whatever period it is free trial, otherwise it acts as the plain free version. During the instlallation there is almost certainly a tick box where you can choose between installing the trial version or the free version, just like malwarebytes has on the last screen of the installer for mbam.

I'm sorry but i know nothing about ipads so i can't advise on those grounds. I was talking about how you would do it for a windows machine.

Edited by rp88, 18 December 2014 - 02:18 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:17 PM

MajorGeeks shows the direct download links as follows...

dll.gif
Download@Authors Site (32 Bit)
Download@Authors Site (64 Bit)

#14 Guest_LighthouseParty_*

Guest_LighthouseParty_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 03:56 PM

Incase you're not sure..

Is my PC running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows?

#15 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,126 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:26 PM

BTW...these are other safe alternate download links:
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition download by Snapfiles
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition download by Softpedia
AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition download by TechSpot