Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating Packages via. Terminal

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:02 PM

Hey guys, I know we have gone over some of this before but bare with me.  

I would like to be sure I am accomplishing an install properly.  I just installed UNetbootin via. Software Manager, and got to thinking, perhaps everytime I install a package like this-should I be running a Update Command? like: apt-get upgrade or, should it include the software name also.  And I assume it needs to be preceded by sudo.

Or will this be updated automatically via. MintUpdates.  I am guessing that Updating SOME software in Mint is not one hundred percent AUTOMATIC.

Thanks pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

no, you don't need to do that. apt-get update updates the apt repository list. apt-get upgrade makes everything the version that is in the repository list. for instance, say these are on your system:

ls v1 and
cat v1 and
man v1.

you update the list one day and the list says

ls v1 and
cat v2 and
man v1.

apt-get upgrade makes your system have the updated versions (ie it will install cat v2)

Edited by bmike1, 17 December 2014 - 03:50 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#3 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

Linux Mint has a shield in the bottom right corner, if you need to update there will be an exclamation point in the shield. Click on it then click install updates, enter your password, and away you go! I recommend unchecking all level 4 and 5 updates. Yes.... everything is automagic.

Edited by bmike1, 17 December 2014 - 03:48 PM.

A/V Software? I don't need A/V software. I've run Linux since '98 w/o A/V software and have never had a virus. I never even had a firewall until '01 when I began to get routers with firewalls pre installed. With Linux if a vulnerability is detected a fix is quickly found and then upon your next update the vulnerability is patched.  If you must worry about viruses  on a Linux system only worry about them in the sense that you can infect a windows user. I recommend Linux Mint or, if you need a lighter weight operating system that fits on a cd, MX14 or AntiX.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,596 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:22 PM

Bmike1, I don't feel that you were being clear considering I am a noob.  You are saying NO to apt-get update, but, it was unclear if you meant the same with apt-get upgrade.  I would think that upgrade would be of use here right?  This way I would be getting the updated version from the repositories?

Software Manager says UNetbootin Version:  585-2ubuntu1

SourceForge Version says:  unetbootin-linux-608

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:37 AM

you said, "perhaps every time I install a package like this-should I be running a Update Command"

it sounded to me like you didn't understand what apt-get update did so I was explaining it to you. you run that command before you run apt-get upgrade. If you don't you will never have anything to upgrade because the package list will never change.

also, you must understand that apt-get only gives packages that have stood the test of time.... it will never give you the latest package unless you put a ppa on your system.

Edited by bmike1, 18 December 2014 - 01:41 AM.

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,596 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:55 AM

bmike1, you are right I did not understand exactly what it meant, but your explanation was a bit unclear to me.  What you just said clarifies what you were trying to say earlier, so I understand now.

What I still don't understand is when this needs to be done?  I thought the Update Manager was always doing this?

Will you tell me the proper procedure now?  For example: Should I Remove the UNetbootin in the SM, and then run sudo apt-get update, then run sudo apt-get update, then re-install?  And, will this update ALL software in my pc SM or PM?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:33 PM

I just pay attention to the shield  in the lower right corner.

#8 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:05 PM

Hi,

I think there may be a typo in your previous post.. You mention update twice and don't mention upgrade at all. :wink:

This being said, upgrate will not update all packages, in particular new kernels will normally not be installed.. You'd need to use the command dist-upgrade to install those.

regards

myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:44 PM

oops! most everything updates automagically with the only exception that I know of being the kernel. BIOS doesn't either but that doesn't count since it isn't part of the operating system. what else doesn't update?

sorry PC, I missed the the question about whether you need to uninstall what is going to be up graded. The answer to that query is 'Nope.' Apt will take care of everything for you. If you don't want to worry about watching the shield you could add a command to you cron jobs that will run at a set time nightly/daily and then it willrun on it's own when you want it to. Be aware though: the computer needs to be on when you want the job to run. I recommend starting a new topic if you can't figure out how to set it after inspecting 'man cron'.

Edited by bmike1, 18 December 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 PM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:05 PM

Hope this doesn't confuse, but I have just performed the same exercise myself, and this is what worked for me:

Firstly, pcpunk:

Should I Remove the UNetbootin in the SM

Yes, or

sudo apt-get remove unetbootin

with

and then run sudo apt-get update, then run sudo apt-get update, then re-install?

No.

My method was (and read all the way through before taking step by step):

Firstly, to try

frL6u1Y.png

Not the desired result. This triggered me to thinking there was a ppa to be added, so looked up sourceforge and launchpad, and then commenced as follows

pH1DtUH.png

Entered and so

NPU0VYb.png

At this point, the ppa is added, and we can look for a newer Unetbootin

Your Software Sources should appear as follows, all you need is the last line (I check Sources as well)

0VcIH1Y.png

Your Package Manager should show as follows:

sZNapEw.png

... and so we want 603.

Right-clicking shows this

EQ1Gify.png

...all greyed out except for the removal options. So we have to remove Unetbootin first.

Removing it shows what is left

Cel3ciu.png

We can then do the following, which is the usual Apply the changes and Install:

d8gHrAs.png

We now have Unetbootin 603 in place, or have we?

I ran

sudo apt-get update

... again, just as a precaution, but when I fired up Unetbootin got this warning

yTexb3I.png

I say a warning, because OKing it still opened Unetbootin for me, but decided to cover all angles.

U2yMByU.png

and thus

z1VzeMl.png

extlinux here is v4.05 and despite the description also supports NTFS and FAT32. It comes from syslinux family. There are more updated versions out there, but I would leave as is.

The updated versions are for Utopic Unicorn and Vivid Vervet (under development), so there might be conflicts.

Once the above is all completed, fire up Unetbootin

yec64OW.png

... and you should have the newest version on your block!

Note that with the above, more could have been done at Terminal, more could have been done with GUI - I just used both

:wizardball: Wizard

BTW - for Kernel updating, see Nick's new article here

Edited add BTW

Edited by wizardfromoz, 18 December 2014 - 10:06 PM.

#11 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:25 PM

Why did you remove the package? You do not need to remove packages your upgrading. But if you want to do so it is your system. Do as you wish.
How do I know you don't need to uninstall what you are upgrading first? Well, I wanted the latest Gimp so I added the ppa for it, upgraded, and the next time I ran Gimp it was the latest version.

About apt installing kernels:
Any packages that don't have a newer version in the repo that you currently have installed.  What it actually installs is entirely determined by your distribution (guessing you're running Ubuntu since it's common and uses aptitude), so the guys in charge of Ubuntu determine what does and doesn't get upgraded with that command.  apt-get upgrade will, in fact upgrade your kernel if there is a kernel package in your repo.  Also, some distros will even download firmware packages and install them (but usually not the bios).  Also, without running an update there's no way to know if there are any new packages.
If you want an explicit list of what it will upgrade, type in:
apt-get --just-print upgrade 

And I guess I was wrong about it only installing the tried and true.... looks like we're at the whims of the distro's maintainers. I guess I was thinking of when I was running a Debian Stable system.

you might find this interesting:

A specific version of a package can be selected for installation by
following the package name with an equals (=) and the version of the package to select. This will cause that version to be located and selected for install. Alternatively, a specific distribution can be selected by following the package name with a slash (/) and the version of the distribution or the Archive name (i.e. stable, testing, unstable).

source: http://linux.die.net/man/8/apt-get

So this is saying to me you don't need the PPA to install the latest version but can instead do:
<package>=<version>

If that is so we don't need to add PPAs to our systems. IN other words PPAs are just a way to make it so that we are always running the latest version of the package regardless of if it works whereas we choose what we want to run with:
<package>=<version>
That is very Linuxy of them!

Edited by bmike1, 19 December 2014 - 03:50 PM.
Merged three related posts into a single entry, for forum tidiness and readability.

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,596 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:49 AM

Hi,

I think there may be a typo in your previous post.. You mention update twice and don't mention upgrade at all. :wink:

This being said, upgrate will not update all packages, in particular new kernels will normally not be installed.. You'd need to use the command dist-upgrade to install those.

regards

myrti

That is interesting, about the Kernels, this helps me understand the whole process, thanks.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,596 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:52 AM

sorry PC, I missed the the question about whether you need to uninstall what is going to be up graded. The answer to that query is 'Nope.' Apt will take care of everything for you. If you don't want to worry about watching the shield you could add a command to you cron jobs that will run at a set time nightly/daily and then it willrun on it's own when you want it to.

Thanks again, this is good to know.  I am not worried about the whole shield thing bmike1, it's no issue to update for me like this.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,596 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 10:06 AM

Thanks Wiz, and bmike1 that is all very good info. and I will be testing this out today...hopefully lol, been busy.

bmike1, I ran this code and it did not work, maybe a typo, I suggest you try it out: apt-get --just-list upgrade

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 bmike1

bmike1

• Members
  • 596 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:21 PM

sorry.... it is 'apt-get --just-print upgrade'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users