Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2012 log in issue

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lross94

lross94

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:32 AM

I have a Windows 2012 Server...Not sure if it is R2 or not.  It is at a clients location and it is a new client for me.  I know this server is on a domain.  Here is the issue.  I press ctrl-alt-del to bring up the log on screen.  No where can I find an option to switch the user that I am logging on with.  My only option is to put in a password for the Administrator account.  I can't even really tell if it is the Domain Admin account or the local admin account.  I don't have the correct password to log on with this admin account.  Now it may at this point be locked out but I can not tell that either.  How do I get an option to switch the user that I am logging on to the box with?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

You should have a "left arrow" in a circle to the left of the account picture. Click it and you should get the option to log on an "other user".

You can the specify an alternative user  ( DomainName\LogonName or  MachineName\LogonName ).

Even if the domain name is listed below the login fields, manually specify it using the first format above.

X64

#3 lross94

lross94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply.  Every time I click on that arrow I get the ctrl-alt-del screen and not an option to log on as an other user.  I just don't understand why it is like this.  The only other thing I can think of is maybe this server isn't on the domain and there is only one user account enabled on the server, the local administrator account.  Am I on the right track here?

#4 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:48 PM

Like x64 said, With windows server 2008 up, you needed to specify wether you are using the domain account or local account (No drop down combo box like win 2003).

I dont want to sound rude mate but if you didnt know the differance between domain and lcoal accounts, then maybe you shouldnt be working on their server hey?

#5 lross94

lross94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:48 PM

Obviously, mate, you didn't read my post.  I know the difference between domain and local accounts.  I know that there isn't any drop down box on 2008 and up.  The question is how do get the option to switch user.  I don't have that option.  When I do what x64 suggested I only get the ctrl-alt-del screen.  The only option I am ever given is to enter a password for the Administrator account.  Read more post less, mate!

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:17 PM

Well first you say "I know this server is on a domain" then on the next you say "The only other thing I can think of is maybe this server isn't on the domain".

Sounds like one user account to me!

#7 lross94

lross94
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:55 PM

My bad.  That was an assumption on my part.  I didn't state that accurately.  Forgive me for not knowing the network yet.  I just walked into this mess yesterday.  There is a domain on the network and I assumed which is generally a pretty good assumption that this server was on the domain.  Apparently, not in this case.  I have only had limited exposure to Windows 2012.  An the servers that I typically have worked with in the past were on a domain and this type of issue I haven't seen before because until recently I have worked in large corporate data centers.  Hopefully, everybody else on this forum will not turn out to be the ass wipe that you have been.

#8 x64

x64

• Members
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:31 AM

Hey, thanks for the reply.  Every time I click on that arrow I get the ctrl-alt-del screen and not an option to log on as an other user.  I just don't understand why it is like this.  The only other thing I can think of is maybe this server isn't on the domain and there is only one user account enabled on the server, the local administrator account.  Am I on the right track here?

Back on track!!!!! and....

Yes that is the behaviour of a stand-alone WS2012 server with a single enabled and unhidden user account.

Why we need a tablet interface on a server eludes me!!!... Maybe it's Nature's way of telling us the we should be using "core" installations on servers instead!

x64

#9 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:44 PM

LOL at the angry fella. You could have executed one simple command to find out (wmic computersystem get domain) if it was on a domain or simply see if LADP was installed!

But yes x64, i nearly threw up when i first installed and tested 2012,

One thing for sure is why the hell did they tamper with the server UI. Luckily i do most of my work from the commandline!

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 18 December 2014 - 06:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users