Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No boot device detected

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MsgSupra84

MsgSupra84

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:43 AM

Hard drive isn't detected on my Compaq cq60. Although it is spinning slowly. When I run the test in the bios menu, it says hard drive passed, but bios didn't list it in my list of bootable devices. The problem started when a program wasn't responding, so I closed it. Immediately the computer shut off, and went to a blue screen. It did not say the usual "no bootable device detected" like a usual bsod. Then when it restarted, it had a black error screen, which stated code 0xc0000428. A driver issue, which is also what the blue screen also stated (without the codes). Trying to get it to boot, but all it would do is being up an error screen. Could not get into recovery or boot up Windows. After it sat for a day, I turned it back on and it booted into recovery by itself. After trying a factory reset, it came up with a new code, which I can't remember. This is when the hdd problem started. After trying to reset the cmos (a bios code was another issue) the hdd then became undetectable. Running the test in the bios menu, it tests fine, but is not in the list of bootable devices. Abby help appreciated. I'm at work right now but I can post all the codes when I get home as I have pictures of all the screens.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 MsgSupra84

MsgSupra84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:44 AM

Any* help appreciated.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:00 AM

If the bios does not detect the hard drive, either you have a failed hard drive, a problem with the connection (cable or dirty pins etc), or a motherboard problem. I would recommend you remove the hard drive and test it from another machine if you have the ability to do so. If not, you might try disconnecting and reconnecting the hard drive (re-seat) to verify the connection is good. Then check in bios again to see if the drive is listed.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 MsgSupra84

MsgSupra84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:53 PM

Tried that this morning and didn't work. I can try to clean the pins after work and see what that does. I would think if I did a hdd test in the bios menu and it passed then it has to be recognized and good. But my computer skills arent very advanced yet.

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:57 PM

It is possible the bios reports that test passed by default if there is no hard drive detected. I do not know what the test does specifically. Does the bios detect the hard drive anywhere else? Such as in sata devices? If the bios does not see the drive, something hardware related is bad. As mentioned, the quickest way to figure out what is bad might be to remove the hard drive and test it from a different machine.

Edited by zingo156, 17 December 2014 - 01:57 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 MsgSupra84

MsgSupra84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

Unfortunately I don't have another machine to test with. I'll clean the pins later and update you on the results, I hope it isn't the motherboard, although I can get one from Amazon for a decent price.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:17 PM

Most likely it would be a hard drive related issue, hard drives fail quite frequently, motherboards, not quite as frequently. You could see if the drive is visible from a linux bootable disc such as linux mint: http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Your computer should run either of the newer versions, for certain the 32bit version of Cinnamon should work. You would have to download mint and either burn it to a disc or setup a bootable usb drive. If you do not have another machine, that might be hard to do...

#8 MsgSupra84

MsgSupra84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 02:41 PM

I'm able to burn the disc from a friend's computer. I just don't know anyone with another cq60, and if I did, they wouldn't let me pull it apart.

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:07 PM

You don't need an identical computer to test the hard drive, any computer with a sata port should be able to see the drive (assuming it is sata). Any computer will work to burn the disc. Then you can use that disc in your current computer to see if linux detects the drive.

#10 MsgSupra84

MsgSupra84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:29 AM

F9 boot manager menu recognizes it as a Hitachi, but the bios menu has no idea it's there. After opening it up to pull the hdd, I found out there has been some pretty bad heat damage. Pretty much anything that looks usable is the wireless card, status of the hdd is still unknown. Motherhood and memory boards are warped. Parts computer now. Thank you for your help with this issue.

#11 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:05 AM

I have yet to see heat warp a ram stick but I suppose it is possible. If the computer still boots it might just be the hard drive that is failing. I would suggest you try to boot to linux and see if you can see the drive and try to copy data to an external drive or usb flash drive. Then I can advise you on how to run a diagnostic test on the hard drive.

#12 MsgSupra84

MsgSupra84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:11 PM

It's toast, literally. The motherboard is brittle. I've never noticed it getting hot, especially hot enough to do that kind of damage. Must've happened over time while charging.

#13 MsgSupra84

MsgSupra84
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:14 PM

I also was able to test the hdd on another beater cq50 that worked good. Also didn't recognize the hdd or the wireless chip.

#14 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:04 AM

It seems you have a bunch of failed hardware... Parts computer it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users