Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cat Pee Incident...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:35 AM

Hello BC,

Yesterday, a friends cat sprayed my Dell Inspiron 13z(5325)! The laptop will no longer turn on. I was wondering if there was a way I could save it, or if it should be recycled? If possible, I would really like to restore it, but if that is out of the question, is there a way I could at least save the data from the HDD? Thank you for your time.

Edited by beachfeet, 17 December 2014 - 06:37 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jkostar

jkostar

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:58 AM

worst case you should be able to remove the hard drive from the lap top and put this in a new machine. If it is not compatible with the new pc, you can always put the drive in a drive doc or bay and attach this to the new pc and move the data over that way. Unless the hard drive is physically damaged it should not be difficult to recover the data from.

it may be possible to fix the pc, but with liquid damage, there could be multiple hardware issues, so if you are not familiar with hardware replacement, it may be best to take this to a professional.

#3 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:31 AM

Thank you for the reply. I'm familiar with hardware replacement. I've built, and upgraded several systems in my day. However, I am having difficulty pinpointing the exact problem. I've never had to deal with a computer that had liquid damage.  

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:29 PM

Urine is a nasty liquid containing a mixture of salts which tend to be conductive when even slightly damp.  Your hard drive is almost certainly OK so data recovery should not be a problem if it comes to that, but your keyboard will have taken the brunt of it.

If you are quite happy doing things like taking laptops to pieces then I suspect at the mininum you are going to have to take the keyboard out and clean it. I would suggest a good rinsing in several changes of water, a final rinse in distilled water and then a good spray of something like iso-propyl alchohol and leave it to dry thoroughly in a warm and ventilated area. You are probably going to have to give the mobo a good clean as well, paying special attention to the connectors.

BEFORE you start any of this, disconnect the charger and remove the battery !  And if you wish guidance on the tear down have a look on YouTube for your make and model of laptop.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users