Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error loading btwizard.dll

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 terrypin

terrypin

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:53 AM

I've started to get this message:
"RUNDLL  Error loading btwizard.dll   The specified module
could not be found."

BTWizard-1.jpg

I haven't yet pinned down what activity actually triggers the message. But I do know that the problem has arisen since trying to uninstall a program. (I think it's now irrelevant, but FWIW that was called Desktop Capture Engine, which came as part of SUPER, the video converter).

I used the normally very reliable Revo Uninstaller. But somehow it deleted scores of files in \System 32 before I cancelled it.

One of the accidentally deleted files must have been btwizard.dll, which I found is owned by Bluetooth Software 5.0.1.802 from Broadcom Corporation. I downloaded a replacement for that file, but the messages continued to occur.

Then I uninstalled Bluetooth Software (which I don't use - can't remember why I installed it those years ago and I don't pair BT devices with this desktop PC - or anything else for that matter). But I still get the message.

I've done the obvious stuff like running sfc \scannow and registry cleaning, and much googling.

I'll next try replacing btwizard.dll again in \System 32 (it was of course deleted when I uninstalled Bluetooth Software). But, as it's an intermittent problem, it might be some time before I'm confident this has fixed it.

Also, I remain nervous about negative impacts from the other deleted files. Would that sfc \scannow have replaced those essential to XP? Is there any way of finding what files were deleted? I backup data and my XP registry nightly, but not \Windows! And they were not in the Recycle Bin.

I'd much appreciate any insights or advice please. My PC seems to be running OK - I just close the message and continue. So it's not a serious practical problem, but I hate unsolved puzzles of this sort!

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:14 AM

Do NOT replace the file.

I would check the startup entries, using any reliable startup manager.  Several are mentioned by Quietman7 at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/508698/startup-in-msconfig/?p=3165047 .

Louis

#3 terrypin

terrypin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:42 PM

Thanks, I'll work along those lines. I use AutoRuns already and have just downloaded Codestuff Starter from the list you referenced. But despite the reservations about MSconfig on that same page, it does have the advantage of allowing you to quickly disable all the main startup programs and restore them again.

--

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:20 AM

A "Cannot find...", "Could not run...", "Error loading... or "specific module could not be found" message usually occurs when a file that was set to run at startup or as scheduled task in the registry has been deleted. Windows is trying to load this file but cannot locate it since the file may have been removed inadvertently, during the uninstallation of a program or after performing a scan with security tools. However, an associated orphaned registry entry (remnant) still exists and is telling Windows to load the file when you boot up. Since the file no longer exists, you need to remove this registry entry or scheduled task so Windows stops searching for the file when it loads.

To resolve this, with AutoRuns...
  • Double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.
    Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.
  • Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.
  • When finished scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom and list all entries under the Everything tab.
  • In the top menu, click File > Find... and type <-insert name-> (the file name related to the remnant), then click Find Next.
  • Alternatively, you can scroll through the list and look for any entry related to btwizard.dll.
  • If found, right-click on the entry and choose delete.
  • Exit Autoruns and reboot your computer when done.[/list]

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#5 terrypin

terrypin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:28 PM

Thanks, appreciate your help.

Earlier today it became clear that the program triggering this message (or one of the programs, at least) is whatever part of Microsoft ActiveSync runs when I establish a USB connection between my XP PC and my HPC Touch Pro 2 smartphone.

So I re-installed ActiveSync. I also did a Repair of Outlook 2002, which was the program whose installation included ActiveSync. I rebooted after those steps.

But on trying to connect, I'm still getting the btwizard error.

I have AutoRuns. Searching for 'btwizard' under the Everything tab gives no hits. But these other Bluetooth related files were, under the Drivers tab. All were enabled.

BTWizard-2.jpg

Should I disable those Autorun entries?

More generally, I see many other 'File not found' entries. Is this a result of the accidental deletions I mentioned in my original post "But somehow it deleted scores of files in \System 32 before I cancelled it," ?

Can someone reassure me that, as I promptly ran sfc /scannow, XP should now have all essential files please?

As will be obvious, I'm rather out of my depth here and any further advice would be very gratefully received.

--

Edited by terrypin, 19 December 2014 - 12:57 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 03:50 PM

I only disable services using the Services Management Console (services.msc).

More generally, I see many other 'File not found' entries. Is this a result of the accidental deletions I mentioned in my original post "But somehow it deleted scores of files in \System 32 before I cancelled it," ?

For startup items, in most cases "File not found" indicates orphan registry entries still present, but the executables are gone so you can safely delete them. That is not the case for "System 32 Drivers Not Found"...see FAQ: Common Autoruns Issues - #12 Autoruns: System 32 Drivers Not Found which provides information in regards to these "File not found" entries.

If you're going to keep Autoruns (which I recommend), be careful using it and be sure to read:

#7 terrypin

terrypin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:15 AM

Thanks, very helpful.

--

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,771 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:54 AM

You're welcome.

"Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone could have. An uninformed user can be their own worst enemy when acting in ignorance."
-- QM7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users