Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Laptop Blank Screen - Need Help Troubleshooting

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Garcia

Paul Garcia

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:05 AM

Good evening,

I am having a problem with my laptop (Toshiba L505D-S6948, AMD Processor, running Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit, 3GB RAM - 1 2GB chip and 1 1GB chip).

A few days ago, the machine started operating very slowly and I was getting some funny messages from my Norton Anti-virus program. I don't recall the exact text of the message, but the word "infected" appeared.

I ran a full scan with that same Norton program but nothing was detected. I then tried to run MalwareBytes and got the blue screen saying the computer was shutting down to prevent damage. This happened twice. The message disappeared before I could print it out (computer reset) so I don't know the message details. I set the computer aside.

Today, I tried to use the computer and noticed the screen was blank. I did a hard shut-down (with the power button) and then attempted to restart. The cooling fan will come on, and that's it. I cannot boot in Safe Mode, and the BIOS screen does not come up. I have a completely blank screen. I don't even get a beep from the POST test. The indicator light for the HDD will not illuminate.

To troubleshoot the issue, I have:

* Tried to start in Safe Mode as noted above.

* Tried to plug-in a known good monitor to the VGA port (in case this was a display issue)

* Unseated and reseated the HDD

* Unseated and reseated the RAM chips.

* Tried booting the computer with only a memory chip in the first slot (did this twice, once for each chip).

I have not added any new programs or hardware to the laptop for most of a year. Nothing has worked. Is there anything else simple that I can try to see if I can get this machine going? It's old but did the trick so I really don't want to buy another.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:16 AM

Create a bootable Linux distro CD (on another PC of course) and use it to boot the lappy into Linux. If Linux boots up then you probably have a failed HDD or the HDD Controller on the MB has failed.

Create a Live disk ... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/ .

Linux distro with a small footprint ... http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm .

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:36 AM

Always disconnect all power before removing components or putting them back in: Main battery and power adapter should be removed from the laptop.

Try each stick of ram in both slots by themselves... Sometimes a bad slot will cause a no post. With this particular model, it was not uncommon for the video chipset to overheat and fail over time, generally due to dust in the intake/exhaust. That said, any component can cause a no post.

If you are capable of taking the computer apart, disconnect all non essential devices such as: hard drive, disc drive, web camera, wifi card, keyboard, mouse/trackpad,etc, usb ports (visually inspect the ports soldered to the board for damaged or bent pins that might be shorting out). Most of those parts are easily accessible. You can visually inspect the usb ports without taking the computer apart... Power the computer on with all of the devices not needed left out. You should only have the mainboard, 1 stick of ram, cpu/cpu cooler, built in display and the power adapter connected.

Remove the battery and power adapter, remove the cmos battery (may have to take the computer completely apart to find the button cell battery) for at least 30 seconds, then put it back in and connect the power adapter only, leave the main battery out.

If you never get a successful post (toshiba splash screen), you likely have a hardware failure such as a bad motherboard etc.

Edited by zingo156, 17 December 2014 - 08:41 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:39 AM

If you have any questions about how to take this computer apart, head over to youtube and search for your model and "disassembly"

Example:

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Paul Garcia

Paul Garcia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:32 AM

Hi ElfBane,

Thank you for the prompt response!

I was able to download the Linux ISO file. However, my Windows does not include the Burn Disk Image functionality listed in the first link below.

Would you kindly provide instructions on how to do this for Windows 8.1? I tried looking it up online and everything I see references Windows 7.

ETA:

That is straight Windows 8.1 on my PC, copyright 2013. No qualifier (like "SP2") per the System function within Control Panel.

Another potential problem is that iTunes is my default program which opens when a blank CD is inserted into this PC. I did some digging around and this might be why the Burn Disc Image does not pop up. I do not know how to revert this setting back to Windows Explorer.

Update: I seem to be having a problem downloading many types of files. Since the purpose of downloading the Linux was to see if I could boot the laptop from a CD, I tried downloading a Norton recovery disk executable program from their site. It seems that something on this computer (my laptop) is preventing downloads.

I am over my head with this and do not know where to begin. Please help."

Create a bootable Linux distro CD (on another PC of course) and use it to boot the lappy into Linux. If Linux boots up then you probably have a failed HDD or the HDD Controller on the MB has failed.

Create a Live disk ... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/ .

Linux distro with a small footprint ... http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm .

Edited by Paul Garcia, 18 December 2014 - 08:07 AM.

#6 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:06 AM

Ok, I'm confused now. Is your laptop now booting reliably?

Anyway, navigate to the .iso file and R-click the file. A menu appears and on that menu should be an option to "burn image", "burn image to disk" or something similar. Your ODD must be capable of burning disks (a DVD burner).

Hope this helps.

Edited by ElfBane, 18 December 2014 - 09:06 AM.

#7 Paul Garcia

Paul Garcia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:46 PM

Hi Elfbane,

Sorry for any confusion. I was short on time when I made my last post.

I tried unsuccessfully to download the Linux ISO file. Since the point was to create a bootable disc, I went and created one from Norton (Symnatec). The reason I was unable to download the ISO was an issue with my IE (diagnosed by the Norton tech support). I had to install Chrome so I could download the executable file and create the bootable Norton disc.

Although I was able to make a bootable disc, I did not succeed in booting my laptop. As before, it turns on and you can hear the fan, but that's it. There is no BIOS screen, Toshiba splash, or BIOS screen.

It sounds like my last-ditch effort is to open it up and see if anything is obviously loose or shorted, per the post with the Youtube video above. Is that correct?

Thanks again!

Edited by Paul Garcia, 18 December 2014 - 11:49 PM.

#8 Paul Garcia

Paul Garcia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 12:44 AM

Hi Zingo,

Thank you for your reply. I had already tried to reseat and change the installation order of the RAM sticks, without success.

The computer is a goner. Disassembly of the chassis was straightforward, but the keyboard ribbon cable separated from its connector straight off and there were thin foil strips (used as wires) that were glued in place and tore when the chassis halves were separated.

No biggie. There was no way I was going to pay $300 for a motherboard repair when I can buy a laptop just as good for about that price. So, this was just a last ditch effort.

Have a good one!

Always disconnect all power before removing components or putting them back in: Main battery and power adapter should be removed from the laptop.

Try each stick of ram in both slots by themselves... Sometimes a bad slot will cause a no post. With this particular model, it was not uncommon for the video chipset to overheat and fail over time, generally due to dust in the intake/exhaust. That said, any component can cause a no post.

If you are capable of taking the computer apart, disconnect all non essential devices such as: hard drive, disc drive, web camera, wifi card, keyboard, mouse/trackpad,etc, usb ports (visually inspect the ports soldered to the board for damaged or bent pins that might be shorting out). Most of those parts are easily accessible. You can visually inspect the usb ports without taking the computer apart... Power the computer on with all of the devices not needed left out. You should only have the mainboard, 1 stick of ram, cpu/cpu cooler, built in display and the power adapter connected.

Remove the battery and power adapter, remove the cmos battery (may have to take the computer completely apart to find the button cell battery) for at least 30 seconds, then put it back in and connect the power adapter only, leave the main battery out.

If you never get a successful post (toshiba splash screen), you likely have a hardware failure such as a bad motherboard etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users