Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

For My PC Should I Run 32-Bit or 64-Bit Windows 7? Advise Please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Phabeon

Phabeon

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:55 PM

2GB's RAM and will not run more than that.. 

So would I see better performance with 32-bit Home Premium Edition Win 7    or 64-Bit Corporate Edition Windows 7? 

These are my only 2 choices as they are from work, pc is a HP dc7700 SFF Pent D cpu 2.8gz with 2gb's of Ram and 80GB hdd. 

let me know!

oNe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Digital_Veil

Digital_Veil

• Members
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:52 PM

64 bit is usually preferred if you have atleast 4GB of RAM. The main difference is that 64 bit can efficiently handle large amounts of RAM compared to 32 bit. So I'd suggest you to go with 32 bit. Go here to learn more about 32 bit and 64 bit version : http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/32-bit-and-64-bit-windows#1TC=windows-7

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:56 PM

With only two cores in the processor and only 2 GB of RAM. You'll never see the benefit of a 64 bit OS. Sorry to say. To be honest this is a Q4 2008 processor. I don't think it will even run a 64 bit OS.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c02546480

https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+D+915+%40+2.80GHz&id=1126

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 Phabeon

Phabeon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

oHHHHhh it'll run it....  Windows 7 Ready tool says it will and a while back I know the IT peeps did some dry runs on it and kept 64-bit win 7 on their dc7700's.. but I'm sure with more RAM..

Okie doke, bottom line is I won't realize the gains of 64bit with this processor so no point in possibly stressing it out and better off with a 32bit version of Windows 7..

got it!

thanks!

oNe

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users