Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP Home Random Restarts

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 kenwood570

kenwood570

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:26 PM

I am experiencing random restarts with my computer running WinXP Home, The machine will boot normally, splash screen appears, sometimes it will run normally for 30 minutes sometimes only 5 minutes before it goes into shutdown/auto restart mode.

I have checked the fan speeds and temperatures all are within normal ranges, the machine is spotless inside, no dust or crud.

I checked the power supply voltages 5 and 12 volts are normal with no ripple.

When running in the SAFE mode I experience no restarts.

My F-secure virus program shows nothing.

The machine is about 7 years old and running Service Pack 3.

It will reset regardless of the USER. Just the splash screen and no USER.

2.8GHZ, 1024 

Loads of available memory and hardrive space on this machine.

I am assuming this is a Virus at this point in the trouble shooting

Any suggestions?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:48 AM

Download BlueScreenView:

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.

when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All

Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

#3 kenwood570

kenwood570
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for the above,  I have downloaded and ran the Bluescreenview however the computer has not reset itself since I downloaded the Utility. Its seems to run OK (the utility),  comes up with the two screens but no data as yet.

Edited by kenwood570, 17 December 2014 - 07:09 PM.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:52 AM

BlueScreenView does not require errors after install - it reads previous dump files as well. Please also do the following to find out whether or not the reboots are caused by bsod's:

Go to System Properties - Advanced - Startup & Recovery Options and UNcheck "automatically restart". Then reboot your system. If bsod's are at fault, the next time there is an error the system will show a blue screen error rather than reboot.

#5 kenwood570

kenwood570
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 12:34 PM

Hi,

I have had that setting mentioned set to UNcheck Auto Restart for a few days now, no files are dumped....

I also ran ComboFix and not 100% sure what those results mean. Nothing looked too out of place but my knowledge is  lacking.

I am thinking of reloading the WinXP OS from the disc after wiping the harddrive if I cannot fix it,  however do not know if I can still upgrade it to Service Pack 3 anymore?

Thanks very much..

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 01:16 PM

One thing we can do is a selective startup, but it's time consuming. More important, if the restarts are infrequent and cannot be reproduced on demand it will be VERY time consuming. Alternatively, you can boot to safe mode and leave it there for a few days to see if the system reboots. If it doesn't, that may indicate a software issue. If it does, it will likely indicate a hardware issue.

Have you checked the ram and hd? If not, let's do that now:

To check the ram, download memtest (http://memtest.org/). Burn it to a cd using a dedicated .iso burning utility (http://www.petri.co.il/how_to_write_iso_files_to_cd.htm), make sure the cd drive is at the top of the boot order in bios, then boot to the newly created cd and run the utility.

To run checkdisk, right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r  (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

#7 kenwood570

kenwood570
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:56 PM

Ran checkdisk sucessfully, not having any luck with RAM test.  Am still trying to figure out how to copy the ISO files to my CD drive D:

Not having any luck with  ISORECORDER as yet, looking for another utility to do the copy, I have downloaded the memtest86+-5.01 in both zip and the other form...

The computer has never reset while in SAFE mode.(as of now).....for a while today it was resetting on the first mouse clix  while in Windows . Then it settled down.

Back to trying to burn the CD for RAM testing...

Thanks

#8 kenwood570

kenwood570
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:51 PM

I ended up using a program "FREE ISO Burner",  started the burn sequence with memtest86 iso file and it initialized, started to write and then came up Hardware Error 8450....

System Info says CD-ROM is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H42

Edited by kenwood570, 18 December 2014 - 09:07 PM.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:34 AM

Try burning using a different computer.

#10 kenwood570

kenwood570
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:33 PM

Managed to burn the disc and boot up with the test, it passed the memory test....

Blue Screen... nothing found.

Malware Bytes nothing noted.

F-secure deep scan nothing noted.

Passed CHKDSK.

Has never failed in SAFE MODE.

As mentioned it does look like a software issue.

Should I try another anti virus program of some sorts? AVG etc?

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:36 AM

If it hasn't failed in safe mode it may well be a software problem or conflict - you can try the following:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/startup_cpl.html) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

Edited by Allan, 20 December 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#12 kenwood570

kenwood570
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:03 AM

Thanks,  I will proceed with the above...

#13 kenwood570

kenwood570
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:43 AM

Still working on the above, difficult to get acurate info due to the random nature of the resets....  It did fail with Systems Services turned off..

However at that time I had two others, sys ini and win.ini checked.... I can see this wil take a while, but I have lots of time here to work on it..

I could not get it to fail with just sys.ini checked and the other two unchecked... It appears win.ini may be the problem area but inconclusive at this time.

The setting in System Information regarding unchecking auto restart has no effect,  the cpu restarts Automatically even with that box in the unchecked state.

Thanks

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,666 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:30 AM

If the system reboots without generating a blue screen error I still lean toward a hardware issue. I know you've checked all of these, but the most common causes (as you may know) are temperature, ram, power supply or hard drive. Again, I recognize you've tested all of this, but still ................

#15 kenwood570

kenwood570
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:42 AM

Ok... I think I will put another hard drive in the machine, reload the OS and see what happens,  do you think that would eliminate the possibility of a virus on the existing C drive causing the problem? Would the virus file if on the machine go out with the existing hard drive when it is disconnected . It works good in SAFE mode.

Can the macine run with two Hard drives, or should one come completely out and the new one installed?

Edited by kenwood570, 22 December 2014 - 11:45 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users