Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable Internet Difficulties

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 teejay7

teejay7

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 03:27 PM

so im 22, freshly graduated from college and living on my own...had cable and cable internet installed last week. when the guy was there installing, he had some troubles with the modem, but eventually got it to work. when he called in to the company to check the signal strength, the man said it was -19. i asked the installer guy what it should be, he said anywhere between -15 to 15, but the internet was up and running and still pretty much faster than ive ever seen in my life. so, it worked while he was there and for about another hour or so after he left. then it quit working, aol won't connect, internet wont open, i have nothing. the "online" light on the modem is a good green color, so i feel that im connected, but nothing will work?!?!!!?! if its cable internet, how can the signal be weak in the first place?? shouldnt it be the same all the time?? just wondering if this something i can troubleshoot on my own, or if im gonna have to call the cable company (comcast) and complain to them...im not paying what im paying not to be able to use the internet....as always, any help is appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 19 June 2006 - 06:30 PM

teejay7,

Your signal level is running on the ragged edge. Any fluctuation in signal will cause you issues such as loss of sych. Which is what you are experiencing. If in fact the technician did leave with your signal out of operating parameters call Comcast back. Demand that it be set properly. Have the technician, show you a visual display of the signal level and what Comcast deems is within operating parameters. Make sure it is well within range before the technician leaves. Also on the main Comcast page is a link to the customer self help forums where you can get help from other Comcast users such as yourself.

Be (Comcast Customer Service) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users