Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new build recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 DonaldKnowsComputers

DonaldKnowsComputers

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

OK so in the next year (who knows what will be out then but) I'm wanting to do my first new build using parts from newegg or tigerdirect.

The wish list: 500 gigabyte hard drive, 8 gigs RAM, a good case that makes it easy to take things out and put things in,

an up to date motherboard/CPU, not necessarily any additional graphics/video cards unless they help with graphic designing,

a bluray drive, and a TV tuner. It will need a fast internet modem and USB 3.0

What are the minimum requirements to run this for power supply, and the other parts,

what would be compatible with the parts that I start off basing the build around,

and how can I get the wish list for being ready when Windows 10 comes out of Beta into the open,

but for a small budget (between $200 and $750)

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:16 PM

time machines are available at newegg

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#3 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:51 PM

ok, ok, that was obnoxious...

minimum requirements for a PC that can do graphic work, has an optical drive, tv tuner, and is under $750?

CPU - probably i5... previous generation, but cheap and quite a few of them are excellent

mobo - best bet is probably asus or gigabyte

ram - i like corsair, myself... but you probably want at least 8 GBs or more

PSU - depends on the GPU and the rest of it, better to have more than you need than not enough

GPU - AMD or nvidia, the better you can afford, the better if you're doing graphic work

case - i'm a big fan of the corsair family of cases

check out some of the barebones setups at newegg...

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:50 AM

You will probably not be able to get the $750 price point.  We can get close, but you will need to make a compromise somewhere in the build given your budget and needs.  For simplicity, I suggest a "Core" group of components then decide on which motherboard and CPU combination to put inside later.

Case:  Antec Three Hundred Illusion - Inexpensive.  It should suit your needs, but gigantic graphics cards may have problems in fitting.  $64

OS:  Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit - You'll need this.  It may also qualify you for upgrade pricing when Windows 10 is released.  $99

TV Tuner:  Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 - This tuner will bring in unencrypted channels, for the encrypted stuff, you'll need a CableCard and a Ceton InfiniTV turner.  $119

HDD:  WD Se WD1002F9YZ 1TB - This is considered an enterprise drive, but has plenty of space and a large cache.  $89

RAM:  Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - This should be plenty of RAM.  $74

PSU:  Antec BP550 Plus 550W - Unless you're getting a high-performance graphics card, this should be enough.  $64

ODD:  LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive - Per your request.  $59

These components should cost $574, the CPU and motherboard warrant further choices.

ASUS A88X-PLUS ($101) paired with AMD A10-7850K ($159) offers a good combination of graphics performance and a reasonable amount of x86 processing capability.  You do not need a discrete GPU for this. 

GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3P ($89) paired with AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-Core 3.5GHz ($139) offers good x86 performance, but does not include a graphics solution.  You will need to buy a dedicated GPU.

GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-SLI ($124) paired with Intel Core i5-4690K ($219) offers better x86 performance than FX, but weaker graphics performance over the A10.  You do not need a dedicated GPU with this.

Ultimately, which one to get depends on where you want to place your money, GPU performance, CPU performance, or multithread performance.

3939.png

#5 DonaldKnowsComputers

DonaldKnowsComputers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:27 PM

Thanks, is the InfiniTV the only tuner you would need if you get it, or do you need the other TV tuner with it to work?

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 18 December 2014 - 08:01 AM

The Ceton tuner should be all you need if you want to watch encrypted channels.  You will also need a CableCard from your television provider.  For ease of use, you may want to use Media Center with Windows.  Keep in mind, Windows 8 does not come with Media Center built in, you need to get a feature pack.  More info is available here.  For information on how to install the Ceton tuner, go here.

The Ceton tuner is not that easy to setup, based on some of the commentary I've read.  Those who can get it to work without issue like them.  Some people have better luck using an HDHomerun device.  That product is a little different but the end result is the same.  You may have issues if you attempt to use it with FiOS or U-Verse.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users