Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Force windows to boot into Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Uselesslight

Uselesslight

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:40 PM

Hey guys, I need to get a PC here to boot into safe mode everytime without pressing F8. Here's the situation:

I can't currently get into Windows because of some recent updates that need to be reverted. If I press F8 it goes to the Windows Update screen and starts reverting, but after the computer reboots, it goes to Normal Mode instead of Safe Mode and doesn't finish the job. I remember on Windows XP there was a way to edit the boot.ini file to load Safe Mode everytime, but that isn't an option in Windows 7 I guess... Is there another way that I can force it to boot Safe Mode without using F8 or MSConfig?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:48 PM

can i ask why you dont wana use msconfig

#3 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,416 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:56 PM

See Starting Windows in Safe Mode
Note: If you are having trouble entering Safe Mode via the F8 method, you should not use this method to force it to startup into safe mode. For reasons why, you should read this.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Uselesslight

Uselesslight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:49 PM

Windows in it's present condition on the customer's machine is not bootable. I'd LOVE to use MSConfig if I had the option at this moment....

Look, I need to get this done from OUTSIDE of Windows. I have no access to the MSConfig tool and the F8 method sure it works, but I don't have the option to stand in front of the affected machine for 45 minutes plus to press the F8 key when it happens to restart. I need to know how to use the BCDEdit from command-line or another way to edit a boot.ini file similar to Windows XP..

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:16 PM

I am not sure bcdedit can be used at the command prompt of a system repair or install disk but take a look at this. If it does work, you will need to disable it or it will loop in safe mode.

Could you use a Windows 7 system repair disk to do a System Restore before the update your are trying to revert?

If the above does not work,

The only way I know how to force a safemode boot outside of Windows is to download the Kaspersky Rescue Disk and use it's Offline Registry Editor.

Safe mode uses the following registry key. You will have to add the Option key under Safeboot and also  "OptionValue" with a dword value of 1

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Option]
"OptionValue"=dword:00000001

#6 Uselesslight

Uselesslight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:00 PM

Thanks again JohnC thats what I needed!

edit: conveniently I Have a KAS disk already :D

Edited by Uselesslight, 16 December 2014 - 05:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users