Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Block Accidental Deletion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fitzy04

fitzy04

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

Hello all,

This isn't exactly as much of a problem as it is just a question. I have a small server that I store my important documents on so that I don't take up room on my computer. I work pretty fast on computers and sometimes, accidentally do things I didn't mean to do, like delete something.

My question: is there a way that I can mark these files so that if I would happen to accidentally click to delete one of them, that the computer won't let me or something that stops me from deleting them. Whether it's that I restrict deletion of these files or I get a pop up saying "hey, this file has been marked for prevention of accidental deletion, do you really want to delete this?" I know you get a message before you delete saying "do you really want to delete 'this file'?" But I just want something that will either completely block me from deleting them (which is most preferred) or somehow prevents me from deleting them.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,112 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

If you accidentally delete files they go to the Recylce Bin so you can always recover them from there.

You can also set permissions for any or all users (or Groups) to protect deletion of files. Set "Everyone" as "Deny" for "delete".

File and Folder Permissions
Description of File System Folder and File Permissions
How to Change File Permissions on Windows 7

And there are third party utilities.
How to prevent deletion of files with Folder Protect
Free System Protect Stop Accidental File Deletions

Of course the best practice for safeguarding your data is backup, backup, backup.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,658 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:24 PM

It's on server? What Windows version? Because you might use shadow copies.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,965 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:02 PM

My advice is normal backups, that way if you accidentaly delete something you can plug in the USB stick containing the backup and restore the file from there. When you create a new file make sure to save it to the USB stick at the end of the day, that way you never lose more than 24hrs work.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 fitzy04

fitzy04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:19 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I'll reply to you all in order...

quietman7 - Well, I did not think of setting the permissions to "deny" for delete for all users. The easy possible solutions are always the last thing we think of I guess lol.

Didier Stevens - Windows Server 2008 Standard

rp88 - The server runs Symantec backup so the data is backed up every night but the data is only kept for 2 weeks and this data isn't accessed often. I believe I stated (and if I haven't yet, I will now) that this data is more for documentation rather than something that will be modified and checked on daily. Basically, this data is there in case it would ever come back that someone is saying something but I have the documentation to prove otherwise. So yes, the backup is a good thought but the backup that is currently in place keeps the information on the backup for 2 weeks. If the backup is older than 2 weeks, it is obviously overwritten. So if someone were to accidentally delete a file, we not know it until months down the line.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users