Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't get backup HD to boot - any suggestions?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 RamJacCorp

RamJacCorp

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

After losing new 3 TB HD to mystery failure, I tried replacing it with the original HD I kept as a backup. I disconnected the failed Toshiba drive from SATA 0, and connected the original drive to the same cable. When it attempts to boot, it goes into a blank screen and freezes. What could be preventing it from booting up, and what can I try? Thanks!

System info:

Dell XPS 8500

Win 8.1

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

was the backup drive a exact copy(clone) of the failed drive?

#3 RamJacCorp

RamJacCorp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:32 PM

well, that's a good question. The newer drive was a clone of the original, but I'm not sure whether I had updated the original to 8.1, or only run the update on the newer drive. Would that possibly make a difference, and is there a way around it?

#4 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:50 PM

The update could have been the issue, is hard to say if there is a way around it.

Even if the drive is not booting all your data is still in the drive, just connect the drive to a working PC get all your Data out and start from scratch.

#5 RamJacCorp

RamJacCorp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:10 PM

My goal is to try and run some diagnostics and see if there's any way to save the failed drive, which is why I wanted to boot the old drive - just to have a Win 8.x box running again. I'm hoping to clone the failed drive and then try and repair it, before giving up and starting from scratch. Just don't understand why it won't boot to a perfectly good drive that it used to run from. 

#6 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:04 PM

Check BIOS Settings, see if you are using UEFI or BIOS to boot that can be a reason why is not booting

#7 RamJacCorp

RamJacCorp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:24 PM

Bizarre behavior. Can't access the BIOS at all. Tried F12, Del, F2, Shft/F8 - nada. Even weirder - I noticed that the black screen I get after the Dell with spinning circles actually has a working mouse cursor. I'm baffled. 

#8 mauguilar

mauguilar

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:57 PM

Try flashing the bios by; 1) Reset BIOS Jumper, Remove CMOS Battery, or look for a BIOS Update in Dell support website and Update BIOS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users