Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No WiFi icon

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tuckersinms

tuckersinms

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:13 PM

My system was functioning fine until I was at the hospital and a unsecure network message came up on my computer. I went to my hotspot so my daughter could do her homework. The next time we got on the laptop there was no wireless connection for my hotspot and the wifi symbol was not lit up I tried the f2 key but still no luck. When I go thru the WLAN utility from control panel it says "there were no adapters available and enabled". I tried to restore to an earlier date but it said " there were no changes made" and the network connections do not show any of the wifi connections. I have looked on device mngr to see if there were any "!" and there are none. I'm not sure if the hosp. wifi somehow confused my WLAN card. I am baffled.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 796 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:29 PM

this is a laptop i assume?

what make and model?

some laptops have a switch on the side or front of them to enable or disable wireless, maybe somebody has hit that switch by accident and turned it off....look around the outside edges of your laptop

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 5,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 20 December 2014 - 07:03 PM

Another common type of Wi-fi switch is in software. If you can't find a physical switch around the edges of this laptop look at the function keys to see if one has a symbol looking vaguely like a wireless transmitter mast - F6 is common but not the only one used.

Then if you press and hold the 'Fn' key and press the key with the Wi-fi symbol this acts as a toggle to turn on or off the Wi-fi unit inside the computer.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away for a couple of weeks from Sunday 24 September with variable internet connectivity. PMs may not be answered as promptly as usual.

#4 tuckersinms

tuckersinms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 09:32 PM

I have a Dell Vostro 1000 laptop and F2 is supposed to be my WIFI key but when I press the fn and f2 simultaneously nothing happens, but the other function keys work ?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 19,726 posts
  •  

Posted 21 December 2014 - 10:13 PM

When you go to Device Manager and click the + mark next to Network Adapters, do you see two, one being your Ethernet and the other your Wireless adaper.

#6 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 PM

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:07 PM

Try these:

1. A System Restore OS function.

2. A registry check.

.....a drop back to defaults for that section, if there are any you can find.

#7 tuckersinms

tuckersinms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 04:48 PM

Thanks I tried to find it on device mngr with no luck so I have just reinstalled the drivers. If this doesn't work I guess I would have to replace the adapter for WIFI, any knowledge where this is located.

#8 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 796 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:25 PM

Thanks I tried to find it on device mngr with no luck so I have just reinstalled the drivers. If this doesn't work I guess I would have to replace the adapter for WIFI, any knowledge where this is located.

if you cant find it in device manager how did you reinstall the driver?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 19,726 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2014 - 05:28 PM

You can tap F12 at boot to get to the Dell Diagnostic Utility. Run that and see if anything comes up.

A person at the Dell forums was able to get the wireless card detected by removing it and cleaning the contacts with alcohol. Do this at your own risk. Your wireless card is accessed by removing a panel on the back of the computer. If you decide to do this remove the battery and any power adapter first. Here is a teardown guide. You can get used ones on ebay.

Another option is one of these. You would need to uninstall any Dell WIreless utility software first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users